Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate maker and cafe in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origin as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. We’re seeking full-time servers (30+ hours/week) to be a part of the opening of our newest factory on 16th Street. This new facility will feature Bloom, a chocolate salon concept that will offer an elevated pastry experience, along with a more casual cafe, and education programs run by our Chocolate Experiences team. We are looking for servers who will celebrate the care and thoughtfulness that goes into our chocolate through thoughtful service of both our drinks and pastries.
About the Role
As part of our Front of House team at Bloom, you’ll learn everything about chocolate from bean to bar to pastry. You’ll prepare to offer outstanding service by becoming well-versed in our philosophy on hospitality as well as tasting of all of our drinks, pastry offerings, and bars to learn how the chocolate origin impacts the flavor of the final product. Our pastry team will offer a variety of desserts and experiences in the salon and you will be tasked with guiding guests through the menu and helping them navigate the options. You’ll work with your team to provide timely, professional, and warm service to each guest who walks through our doors. This role starts at $16.50/ hour plus tips.
A typical day at Bloom will start with an update on menu changes, VIP or other special guests and events that day, and a quick recap of recent reviews. You’ll welcome guests, take drink and pastry orders, and work with our cafe team to time orders for a thoughtful, exquisite experience. Throughout the day, you’ll work to complete your checklist of shift responsibilities and sidework, and will make sure the next shift is set up for success before you leave for the day.
Our ideal candidate is a mature, team-oriented server who is excited to learn and share their passion for chocolate and hospitality. You develop authentic rapport with guests, can work independently as necessary, and you have the savvy to navigate unexpected situations with confidence. Whether it’s an impromptu birthday celebration for a regular or creating a custom tasting for an out of town guest, you always look for a gracious way to meet (or exceed!) a guest’s needs. You’re energized by a long line of excited people and you love making spaces more efficient in downtime so you’re ready for the busy period. Ideally, this isn’t your first time working in guest service and hospitality, and you are excited to grow in your role and take on more responsibility.
- Coffee & Chocolate Knowledge: You’ll create chocolate and espresso drinks with a consistent level of excellence and commitment to our high standards. You will actively engage guests and enthusiastically share your knowledge about our small-batch chocolate and the drinks and pastries we make with it. You’ll be able to answer guests’ questions about our chocolate and coffee products with ease, even suggesting drink and pastry pairings when appropriate.
- Hospitality: Regardless of the day of the week or the crowds, customers can consistently depend upon you for an amazing experience. You look for opportunities to surprise and delight both your team and our guests. You are empowered to create great experiences and never hesitate to resolve an issue with empathy and grace.
- Systems & Processes: You consistently work to identify ways to improve operating procedures, checklists, and documentation so that your individual observations benefit the entire team and lead to all-around café improvements. Your skills add to the cleanliness, organization, and function of the store, team, and organization.
- Team-player: You are a positive, team-oriented individual who consistently improves your team’s experience. Your coworkers want to work with you again (and again and again).
- Other tasks as necessary
- Phenomenal Interpersonal Skills: You have strong communication and teaching skills, and can change your approach and response depending on the situation. You have a proven ability to work well within a team environment.
- Desire to grow and develop: You look for opportunities to develop your skill set and are looking to develop within an organization.
- Flexibility: You thrive in a busy environment and are energized by giving guests a world-class experience. You enjoy working across teams and supporting the entire organization and will adapt to any changes made as we get Bloom up and running.
- Previous experience: 1-2 years of retail or customer-facing work experience in a fast-paced environment, and we welcome people with coffee and chocolate experience.
- Weekend & Weekday Availability: Regular evening, weekend, and holiday availability are required.
The benefits and perks continue beyond a robust chocolate and coffee education. Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in our people and culture. All team members receive medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. All team members receive paid vacation time, holiday pay, and paid sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, FSAs, local gym discounts, chocolate tasting opportunities, the chance to travel to origin and our Japan locations, and a range of opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
How to Apply
Dandelion Chocolate is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role in order to contribute in a bigger way with us. To stand out from the crowd, send us your resume and a cover letter that details your favorite food experience or influence. We value passion, attitude, and hard work, so tell us what inspires you to join our team.