Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate maker and café in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origin as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Today we’re seeking a General Manager to launch and grow a world-class, high-touch chocolate experience at our new café and chocolate salon to open at 16th & Alabama Street in the fall.
About the Role
We seek a passionate, organized, and customer-focused leader to help us bring our brand new, seventeen-thousand square foot Mission chocolate destination to life. You will oversee the café, the retail experience, the on-display chocolate factory, and the sit-down chocolate salon. You’ll join our Kitchen, Creative, and existing Café teams to develop a training program, technical service standards, an inventory management system, and to hire a team known for their warm, generous service. The work doesn’t stop once we open. We’ll iterate our salon experience, including the schedule, menus, plating, music, and endless checklists, to fulfill our goal of becoming a chocolate destination that guests will return to again and again, and that will make the San Francisco community proud.
Our ideal candidate loves action and detail. You shift effortlessly between writing daily team checklists, accommodating a tour group that appeared unexpectedly, calling a plumber to fix the ice machine, spending a few minutes to talk with a local teacher about a potential collaboration, and carving out a few minutes for experimenting with new retail shelf organization. You’re a self-starter with many years of high-volume, high-service leadership operation experience. In your previous roles, you laid a foundation of systems, documentation, playbooks, and manuals so that others could easily step into your shoes. You proactively jump on issues before they are pointed out to you. You have an intuitive knack for knowing what needs the most attention, such as reviews, schedules, logistics, or improving the experience.
Success looks like:
- Vision: Collaborate with the CEO to develop a vision for what an iconic, exquisite chocolate café and salon experience should be - and keeping an eye on profitability and building and overseeing a healthy, cohesive team. Maintain an open and clear communication line with the CEO to ensure cohesion and alignment toward the organization’s goals. Be the single point-person responsible for the day-to-day success and long-term growth of the operation.
- Department relationships: Work across the organization to build long-lasting systems with Chocolate Operations, Kitchen, Product, and Creative teams that will ensure that products and merchandise are stocked and displayed at their best.
- Track Financial Objectives: Outline actionable goals for the company’s overall profitability, including maintaining weekly reports that track costs.
- Guest Experience: Ensure that the retail areas, café, and salon are kept to an extremely high standard of cleanliness and organization that reflects the Dandelion Chocolate brand. This includes clean bathrooms, bussed tables, clean windows, and stocked shelves while still making sure the team has time to proactively greet and attend to guests.
- Employee Education: Ensure that café and salon staff is trained to deliver high-touch customer care, serve pastry items at their best, quickly, accurately, and expertly answer guest questions, and handle tricky customer issues. Develop training materials, leveling, and checklists so that the team consistently operates at a world-class level.
- Team Management: Oversee the café and salon teams to ensure smooth guest interactions, a safe work environment, completion of day-to-day tasks, and long tenures within your staff. Actively recruit, train, and develop all team members with an eye towards their long-term success so that Dandelion Chocolate remains one of the best small businesses to work for in San Francisco.
- Community Relationships: You are excited to get to know our new neighbors and connect with the Mission food community and beyond. Create strong bonds that lead to solid, trusting relationships with other local businesses.
- Social Media: Assist our press team in maintaining relationships with followers and fans through our social media and local review sites to ensure that Dandelion Chocolate continues to be rated one of the best food experiences in the City.
- Facilities: When the ice machine breaks or a sink springs a leak, you can troubleshoot minor issues and contact service professionals to ensure minimal downtime.
- Other tasks as necessary
- Previous Experience: Five to seven years previous experience in a restaurant or high-volume café. A proven ability to build systems and processes that prioritize elevated customer service. Experience with opening a restaurant or café is preferred. You have a trusted network of team members, colleagues, vendors, and professionals that you can enlist as necessary. A passion for chocolate or experience in the cacao world is a huge plus!
- Tech Skills: A demonstrated proficiency with spreadsheets and profitability reports. You are comfortable reading and modifying financial models to inform day-to-day decision making, such as product display and staffing hours. You also have a natural ability to use social media platforms such as Yelp and TripAdvisor to positively engage with guests.
- Availability: While this is a full-time role and we prioritize work-life balance, we’re looking for someone who can adjust their schedule to help cover weekends and weekdays as necessary.
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks, including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits, as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. All employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with a copy of your resume and a cover letter. You’ll stand out from the crowd if you include one or two sentences about your favorite techniques for guest engagement.
We do our best to respond to all serious candidates within 7-14 days. We look forward to hearing from you!