Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Now we’re seeking a Sales Representative to help define and share our story (and chocolate!) with partner stores across the world.
About the Role
A day might start with a daily call to coordinate with the fulfillment team to stay on top of what is currently available. Most of your day is following up on leads to see if Dandelion Chocolate is a good fit and help them understand who we are. You have a quick call with someone organizing an upcoming trade show you’ll attend. You work with the Creative department to make new product suggestions based on what you are seeing in the market. At the end of the week, you track your activities against weekly targets and quarterly goals. You are also sure to keep a close eye on the customer experience, making sure it runs smoothly and making note of any hiccups that could be improved. At the end of the day, you take the time to stop by a long-standing store owner’s shop to say happy birthday and drop off one of the last 100% bars that you happen to know he loves.
Our ideal candidate excels with adaptability, follow-through, and people skills. You are never afraid to strike up a conversation about a product you love and previous customers can’t wait to work with you again (and again). You’re timely, buttoned-up, responsive, and take the time to understand customers needs before assuming you know what would work best in their environment. You can multi-task easily and don’t mind switching between spreadsheets, phone, email, and jaunting down the street to talk in person. You keep an eye on trends and loop the customer into new potential product ideas to assess their viability. You track your conversations with customers so that you can pick up where you left off months later. Regardless of the type of customer, you love building long-term relationships, understanding other team’s needs, and exciting others about bean-to-bar chocolate.
Success Looks Like
- Self-start: You will be one of our first sales teams members. Starting from scratch, work with the executive team to assess tools and research best practices to set a solid foundation for future sales members with systems that will scale with time. Must be tech-savvy to assess tools, establish systems
- Source: Develop and maintain long-term relationships with a wide variety of shops to understand our partner’s needs and how Dandelion Chocolate products might fit into their retail strategy. This ranges from very small to very large.
- Collaborate: Collaborate and coordinate with other members of the Dandelion team to share knowledge, discuss best partnership strategies, assign relationships, and trade tips & tricks.
- Measure: Track success towards quarterly revenue goals that lead to the organization’s financial success.
- Innovate: Work with Product teams to share trends and partner experiences to inform the design process and product roadmap. Maintains sales volume, product mix, and selling price by keeping current with supply and demand, changing trends, economic indicators, and competitors.
- Close: Consistently close sales by staying on top of emails, following through with commitments, checking-in after deliveries, problem-solving when plans go astray, and by being a trusted contact that partners want to work with again (and again).
- Previous Sales Experience: Previous experience working with vendors, partners, or sales vendors where teams have different cultures, needs, and expectations.
- Communication Skills: Ability to communicate effectively both face to face and electronically. You found the grammatical error in this job description and it bugs you.
- Tech Skills: Proficiency with spreadsheets & profitability reports. Can read and modify financial models to inform day-to-day decision making such as what products should be displayed on shelves and staffing hours. Can assess tools as necessary to determine what tools will be most effective for the organization long-term. Can develop marketing collateral based upon templates as needed. Knowledge of inventory management systems is a plus.
- Availability: While this is a full-time role and we prioritize work-life balance, we’re looking for someone who can adjust their schedule to meet customer needs on occasion. If a valued customer invites you to an evening cocktail hour, you are sure to be there.
- Travel: Some travel will be required.
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. Hourly employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
Please apply with a copy of your resume and cover letter. You’ll stand out from the crowd if you include one or two sentences detailing why this role would be a good next step in your career. We do our best to respond to all serious candidates within 7-14 days. We look forward to hearing from you!