Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment the beans. We’re always searching for flavorful, quality cocoa beans and now we’re seeking a positive, detail-oriented Factory Assistant who will ensure that the farmer’s and producer’s dedication, care, and attention is reflected in the high quality of our chocolate. We can’t do it without you -- the quality of our chocolate is a direct reflection of our seamless operations comprised of teamwork, learning, and a deep desire to continuously improve.
About the Job
Your mornings typically start with a team meeting to review the day’s tasks and goals. You might start with prepping chocolate molds in the tempering room before jumping to a pile of chocolate covered dishes that need to be sparkling, orderly, and ready for action. While delivering a new bag of cocoa beans, you see that our storage space needs more organization so you proactively take a few moments to clear a walkway so there is a safe, clear path for everyone to move through. After lunch with the team, you are back in the tempering room helping to unmold and hand-wrap finished chocolate bars in gold foil. Every task you tackle is done to the highest quality. You’ll be working with a team of very passionate chocolate makers in a dynamic and unique environment. At the end of the day, the team huddles together again to review how the day went according to plan. While there are always unexpected surprises (a machine breaks, a shipment of sugar is delayed), everyone goes home knowing that today we did good work and our chocolate continues to get better and better. The starting rate is $15/ hour.
When working repetitive tasks you easily slip into a zen state of mind, thinking of ways to improve on a process or perhaps devising a game plan for your next task. You are eager to help the team, offering assistance where it is needed and sharing a great idea about an issue that has everyone stumped. You are self-motivated and feel great satisfaction with a spotless workspace where every item is in its place. Throughout the day, you work efficiently and with an eye for the quality standards necessary for the factory space. The team knows they can always rely on you to help them clean up a chocolate spill or give an extra hand when a task took longer than expected.
- Check quality and foil bars according to the team’s best practices to help reach each month’s goals
- Polish molds so that each round of bars is streak & debris-free
- Unmold bars with a keen eye for potential quality defects or issues
- Wash dishes and utensils so the team always has a clean spatula or tasting spoon at-hand
- Tidy and organize chocolate production area including cleaning and maintaining machines to ensure a safe, hazard-free workspace at all times
- Proactively look for other tasks as necessary to help our daily operations run as smoothly as possible
- Available from 8:00-5:00 from Monday-Friday.
- Previous kitchen experience is a huge plus -- especially the habits of washing hands, labeling and dating finished products, and working thoughtfully around others.
- Positive attitude. People want to work with you again (and again and again.)
- Keen attention to detail. You adhere to quality standards even when it’s not convenient.
- Excellent time management skills. You use your time efficiently and proactively look for other tasks when you have unexpected downtime.
- Ask questions and comply with company policies and service procedures. We work with heavy machinery each day and our team members depend upon each other to maintain strict safety standards.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, walking and standing throughout shift.
- Ability to work under pressure, navigate crowded spaces carrying dishes and merchandise, and respond to guest and staff needs efficiently and courteously.
- California approved Food Handler’s Certification is required upon hire
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. Hourly employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
Dandelion is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role and are interested in contributing in a bigger way with us. To apply, please email email@example.com. You will stand out from the crowd if your resume is accompanied by a cover letter with a few sentences about your most memorable food experience. We look forward to hearing from you!