Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Now we’re looking for a resourceful, organized, and detail-oriented Assistant Manager to lay the foundation for our relationships through seamless and scalable end-to-end operations processes.
About The Job
More than anything, you’re a team player who is always thinking 6-12 months in the future. When you see a heat wave on the news, you ask the team to double-check online orders being sent to Texas. When you’re inventorying the holiday supplies, you think about the labeling system so it will be easy to find the burlap stockings next season. Before ordering pallets of boxes, you organize a team meeting to discuss how to standardize the customer unboxing experience with more eco-friendly packaging. When you receive a returned damaged treats box, you pass along that feedback to the product team so they can design the future boxes to be more stable. When you are responsible for shipping 2000 corporate gifts, you think about potential RSI issues for your team. And while no day is ever the same, you always reserve a little bit of time for high-fives, birthday celebrations, and storytelling. Though we’re a small operation, the team is united by a pride in our world-class systems.
Our ideal candidate is a planner and organizer at heart. You’ve worked in a manufacturing, warehouse, or extensive retail environment previously and know the checklists, FIFOs, service level agreements (SLAs), tools, and metrics necessary for the team to operate at its best. You’ve led small teams and know the best leaders ask questions and are quick to give credit to others whenever possible. However, when something goes wrong and the electricity goes out, a shipment falls off the boat, or you receive a 10,000 piece order, you have the experience of handling a few crises and emergencies to step up and delegate tasks. You can formulate a plan B (and plan C and plan D) to roll with the inevitable surprises that a scaling organization throws your way. Your unflappable zen will be especially valuable this summer when we move into our larger factory just a few blocks away on Alabama Street.
- Systems & processes: Build and document systems and processes for the Fulfillment team to exceed timelines and packaging standards while maintaining 100% order accuracy. In the future, your robust system will easily accommodate special orders and monthly bar subscriptions.
- Delivery coordination & logistics: Oversee and occasionally execute last minute and special deliveries. Our kitchen operations rely upon our team’s clockwork delivery to open each morning. Our wholesale partners have worked with us since we were at farmers markets and know we can be depended upon to deliver in a holiday crunch. Our Guest Concierge depends on overnight deliveries deliveries to VIP guests. Your attention to schedules, relationships, shipping deadlines, the van’s maintenance logs, and seasonal ebbs and flows keeps all of our operations humming each day.
- Project coordination: From moving to our new permanent warehouse and factory this summer, to researching new packing tape vendors, to updating inventory systems to optimize FIFO efficiency, you can be depended upon to coordinate with the team and track a project from start to finish. Because of you, our operations continue to scale and improve year after year.
- Team support: You keep an eye on the ergonomics and well-being of the team so that the team operates in a safe, respectful environment. This includes keeping up-to-date with safety practices, first aid training, OSHA, and earthquake and fire drills as well as developing a second sense for the tasks team members gravitate towards and excel with. With other teams, your weekly emails and meetings keep the kitchen, product, makers, and execs in the loop and fosters trust across the organization.
- Other tasks as necessary
- Previous experience: Been-there-done-that chops in leadership role within a manufacturing or warehouse environment.
- Technical aptitude: Knowledge of and ability to solve problems with tools such as Google Suite, Stitch Labs, and ShipStation. You can research new tools and vendors as appropriate.
- Team finesse: It’s unlikely you’ve ever worked in a culture as collaborative and thoughtful as Dandelion Chocolate. Our culture is positive, servant-oriented, and takes active listening to a new level. A can-do attitude and sense of humor will serve you well!
- Driving: Valid California driver's license and comfortable driving in San Francisco.
- Physical stamina: This isn’t a desk job. Please be aware that this job requires some heavy lifting (up to 60 lbs) and being on your feet for extended periods of time.
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, life, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. We offer paid vacation and sick team to our employees as well. Our team members also enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate and pastry tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
Dandelion is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role and are interested in contributing in a bigger way with us. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your resume and cover letter. You will stand out from the crowd if your resume is accompanied by a few sentences your favorite warehouse organization tip. We do our best to respond to all serious applicants within 7-14 days. We look forward to hearing from you!