Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients—cocoa beans and cane sugar—and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment cacao beans. Now we’re seeking a full-time (30+ hours/week) barista who will celebrate the care and thoughtfulness that goes into our chocolate through thoughtful service of our cafe drinks and pastries. In many cases, a guest’s question about which hot chocolate to order will lead to a deeper discussion about a chocolate origin and eventually to a lifelong passion for chocolate.
About the Job
You will go through full barista training, spend a day with our chocolate production crew learning how to craft chocolate, and attend our Chocolate 101 & 102 classes. After that, you’ll be ready to dive in and get your hands dirty. A typical cafe day might start with reading the daily cafe report and knowing to expect the dishwasher repairman in the morning, a chocolate expert from Hawaii around noon, and a chocolate tour for the afternoon. When the line gets long, your focus turns to ensuring each person receives a thoughtful, exquisite experience. During welcomed breaks, you might help water cacao trees, update chalk art, or restock chocolate bars and gift boxes on the retail shelves. The hourly rate is $15.00 plus tips which can range from $5-$8/hour.
Our ideal candidate is a seasoned, mature barista who is excited to learn and share that passion with others. You develop authentic rapport with guests, can work independently as necessary, and you have the savvy know-how to navigate unexpected situations with confidence (a guest asking for the blowtorch so they can toast their own marshmallow, a Japanese camera crew unexpectedly dropping in, or a regular calling to request someone to hand their hot chocolate to them through their car window as they drive by so they don’t have to park and risk waking their sleeping baby). You aren’t intimidated by a long line of excited people and you love making spaces more efficient in downtime so you’re ready for the busy period. Ideally this isn’t your first time working in customer service and you have the bandwidth and scheduling flexibility for an intensive 30 day chocolate onboarding.
- Create espresso and hot chocolate drinks with a consistent level of excellence that showcases each variety of bean-to-bar chocolate. Regardless of the day of the week or the crowds, customers can depend upon receiving an amazing drink and pastry experience.
- Identify ways to improve operating procedures, checklists, and documentation so that your individual observations benefit the entire team and lead to all-around cafe improvements.
- Be timely, dress professionally, and be ready to work through your shift so that your coworkers want to work with you again (and again) and so that visitors look forward to your thoughtful attention.
- Phenomenal interpersonal skills: you should be able to develop a quick rapport with customers by detailing our chocolate making process and why you relate to it, inspiring guests to learn more about chocolate!
- Available to complete barista training, craft chocolate making, Chocolate 101, and Chocolate 201 classes within 90 days to develop the expertise to answer potential questions from thousands of visitors and regulars.
- Available evenings and weekends
- 2-3 years of experience making espresso drinks is a huge plus
- Familiarity with a fast-paced work environment
- 1-2 years of retail or customer-facing work experience
- Proven ability to work well within a team environment.
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. Hourly employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
Dandelion Chocolate is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role in order to contribute in a bigger way with us. We would love to see your resume and a cover letter that details your favorite food experience or influence. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work, so tell us what inspires you to join our cafe team.