Cumulus Networks | Technical Marketing Engineer
We are looking for a Technical Marketing Engineer who is ready to make a substantial impact with Cumulus Networks. As the leaders in open networking, we believe in completely transforming the industry by enabling a web-scale IT architectural approach that brings efficiency and flexibility to the network. Joining Cumulus Networks means you’ll be a part of a fast-paced and energetic team dedicated to making data center networking better.
If you want to be part of a truly passionate team, if you have incredible TME experience, and if you’re looking to make a difference in a big way, then you are in the right place. We have a stellar leadership team, over 1/3 of the Fortune 500 in our customer base and the financial backing of Andreessen Horowitz, Battery Ventures and Sequoia Capital. We are looking for motivated individuals who thrive on great technology, individual initiative and the ability to see the impact of their work on the business.
About the Position:
We at Cumulus look at building, running and managing networks a little differently than traditional vendors. We focus on enabling automation and next-generation tools while still allowing traditional network engineers to ease into this brave new world. To accomplish this goal, we have a close-knit team of fabulous engineers, both behind the scenes and in front of customers. Cumulus is looking to expand our Technical Marketing Engineering (TME) team with a new candidate who can focus on both the "Technical" and "Engineering".
TMEs wear multiple hats and work with almost every organization in the company.
- TMEs help the technical field as subject matter experts in technologies, solutions, network design, automation or anything in between.
- TMEs will help act as trusted advisors to potential new customers and longtime Cumulus fanatics.
- TMEs will help understand customer needs, based on both specific requests (RFPs) or interpreting business goals.
- TMEs determine new solutions and integrations that make Cumulus shine. This can be as diverse as monitoring with server-based toolsets, leveraging software toolchains to accomplish automated network testing (CI/CD) or building lossless storage networks with RoCE and VxLAN.
- TMEs help understand and react to new competitor solutions on their technical merits. Where do we outshine? Where do we need to improve to compete?
- TMEs are the voice of the customer to engineering and product management. TMEs help define use cases and prioritization for new features and technologies.
- TMEs work to improve the technologies we offer. Regular, hands-on product use is part of the job as is providing feedback to optimize solutions for our customers.
- TMEs provide a technical perspective for marketing and create highly-technical resources for customers to explain complex technologies like Openstack or Container networking.
- TMEs build white papers and design guides, detailing the best practices for solutions and network designs.
- TMEs may present at conferences or serve as a technical resource at a conference booth, speaking to customers about who we are and what we do.
- TMEs also work with marketing to determine what trends in the industry we should focus on and create collateral for.
What makes a good TME?
A good TME has a broad knowledge of the datacenter space and beyond. Flexibility and adaptability are essential to a job that will require an ability to think on your feet whiteboarding with a customer one day and then diving deep into a technical design guide the next. The TME role requires an interest in new technologies while being pragmatic about the business and technical restrictions of today's enterprises. Great TMEs are self-directed and can quickly master new technologies in order to educate the broader technical community, both inside Cumulus and the industry at large.
- Previous TME experience is highly preferred.
- A strong understanding of networking. 3+ years working in or with networking.
- Knowledge of the basics of BGP, VLANs and ACLs are a must.
- Outstanding communication skills required. Experience presenting at conferences, meetups or even internal team trainings will help.
- Linux and systems skills are nice but not required.
- Knowledge of any programming or automation language is a huge plus, but not required.
- Strong candidates will have some knowledge of computer science concepts in order to learn automation and possibly scripting along the way.
- JNCIE or CCIE level knowledge would be great, but no certifications are required.
- Past experience in network operations or support is a plus.
- Knowledge of VxLAN, OSPF, QoS, Layer 1 optics, ASICs and hardware are a plus.
- An ability to self-direct and solve problems with minimal input is essential. You won't be on your own, but this is a senior level position.
- Some travel will be required, generally less than 20% and almost entirely domestically.
A Little About Us:
We’re a startup, built by people who have gone down this road before. Our founding team is comprised of some of the industry’s most renowned technology innovators responsible for some of the most significant advancements in networking. We are action oriented doers and transparent thinkers. We believe in recruiting and retaining the very best people for every function, promoting from within and having no secrets.
We have an intense focus on customer success, openly confront our problems while celebrating our successes, and manage to results not to hours in the office. We believe in a healthy work-life balance; we even encourage dogs in the office for smile support! We offer a competitive compensation package, pre-IPO equity, and comprehensive health benefits for employees and their families.
Because we like to have fun we of course have catered company parties, picnics and happy hours throughout the year. We have excessively fancy espresso machines in every location, catered lunches three times per week, and bountifully stocked kitchens. All of our offices are an open space model that foster an exciting company culture and a pretty cool place for us to have fun and execute our craft.
We are very proud of our ratings and reviews on Glassdoor and honored to be listed as one of 2017's 50 'Best Places to Work', we encourage you to take a peek! We are a global company. Our corporate headquarters is in Mountain View, CA. We also have offices in Sydney Australia, and North Carolina (RDU).
Cumulus Networks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin, etc.