Experienced WordPress developer
At Crowd Favorite, we’re protective of our culture, our process, and our clients, and we’d rather be understaffed than hire the wrong person. When you do join our team, though, you’ll quickly realize this isn’t like other jobs. It’s a transformative experience.
We’re currently seeking an experienced developer to work on a variety of WordPress sites and projects in our ongoing client support department. Our ideal candidate is someone who finds satisfaction in solving challenges in a support environment, has experience creating well-written code that follows the WordPress standards, and understands that it’s more than just code. Solving the problems requires a well-rounded understanding of not only the code, but also the environment and the requirements of the client. He or she is willing to take initiative, is capable of managing competing tasks on their own, yet also embraces working together as a team.
You will be working on a variety of projects in a number of different capacities. Some projects will need minor template work done, others will need new functionality. You’ll need to move effectively between PHP, JS, and CSS.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has excellent communication skills
- Has excellent problem-solving skills, including analysis and identification of the problem, and clearly outlining a path to a solution
- Can review and interpret business and technical requirements
- Can write modern, standards-compliant PHP for WordPress
- Can write modern, standards-compliant CSS
- Has experience writing code that meets the WordPress coding standards
- Understands the difference between a plugin and a theme and what goes into each
- Has experience optimizing legacy sites for modern PHP requirements
- Knows their way around MySQL
- Has experience solving issues related to scaling and high-performance websites
- Knows their way around a server—basic web server configuration, cron management, package management (apt or similar), basic shell familiarity, and other housekeeping skills
- Has a fundamental understanding of REST
- Has an understanding of virtualization and experience with some flavor of VirtualBox, Vagrant, etc.
- Has experience with Git and adherence to a workflow, including deployment tools
- Has familiarity with task runners and contribute to Front End workflows (Gulp/Grunt, Sass compilers, etc.)
- Can collaborate with other engineers, designers, and business analysts in a remote team environment
While not required, we’d love it if you had experience/familiarity with:
- Using and extending WP-CLI
- Configuration and deployment of Varnish
- Building and managing software testing, including:
- Performance testing
- Unit testing
- Integration testing
- Acceptance testing
- Writing scripted migrations
- Sharing your knowledge through training, blog posts, or documentation
- Working in a fully remote position
- Working on side projects
Is Crowd Favorite the right place for you? If you’re interested in exploring a career with us, get in touch! We look forward to getting to know you.