The Special Education Paraprofessional is responsible for:
- Maintaining the safety and development of the special needs student in his/her care
- Establishing high expectations for each student, and supporting their academic, social, and emotional development.
- Working closely with the classroom teacher and Special Education teachers to deliver instruction individually, in small groups, and support whole class instruction for more than 50% of the work day
- Participating in frequent meetings with parents, teachers, and school leadership
- Developing educational materials, learn communication techniques, and use student devices
- Willingness to be CPI trained
- After CPI training, implementing de-escalation techniques when working with students, as required. May be required to restrain a student.
- Collaborating with therapists, evaluators, and teachers to support student development
- Participating in the life of the school, including student activities and events
- Believe in the mission and values of Crescent City Schools
- Associate's degree, or two years of college and/or Highly Qualified as a paraprofessional
- Demonstrate past success working with students in urban settings and open admissions schools
- Knowledge of behavioral interventions a plus
- Bilingual a plus
- Work routinely requires lifting 100 lbs +
- Work routinely requires bending over
About Crescent City Schools
As a nonprofit Charter Management Organization, our mission is to support and develop open-enrollment charter schools that raise student achievement and prepare students for college. Part of the ongoing effort to rebuild New Orleans public schools, Crescent City Schools currently operates three PreK-8 open-enrollment charter schools: Harriet Tubman Charter School, located in the Algiers neighborhood; Akili Academy, located in the Upper 9th Ward; and Paul Habans Charter School, located in Algiers. Each of our schools provides students personalized learning and enrichment programs, focusing on civic engagement, sports and recreation, the arts, and academic achievement. Our organization creates life-changing educational experiences for students and, through this work, transforms a city.
Compensation is competitive and based on experience.
We offer an AMAZING benefits package.