In partnership with Daughters of Charity, Crescent City Schools is seeking a School Social Worker for the 2018-2019 school year. The counselor will be employed by Daughters of Charity and will work at Akili Academy.
The School Social Worker is responsible for:
- Interviewing students individually, in families, or in groups, assessing their situations, capabilities, and problems, to determine what services are required to meet their needs.
- Counseling students, groups, families, or communities regarding issues including mental health, poverty, unemployment, substance abuse, physical abuse, rehabilitation, social adjustment, child care, and/or medical needs.
- Maintaining case history records and preparing reports.
- Counseling students whose behavior, school progress, or mental or physical impairment indicate a need for assistance, diagnosing students' problems and arranging for needed services.
- Consulting with students’ families, teachers, and other school personnel to determine causes of problems such as truancy and misbehavior, and to implement solutions.
- Arranging for medical, psychiatric, and other tests that may disclose causes of difficulties and indicate remedial measures.
- Serving as liaison between students, homes, schools, family services, child guidance clinics, courts, protective services, doctors, and other contacts, to help children who face problems such as disabilities, abuse, or poverty.
- Participating in daily, weekly, and quarterly meetings about student achievement
- Using leadership feedback and goal-setting to improve daily practice
- Participating in the life of the school, including student activities and events
- Believe in the mission and values of Crescent City Schools
- Demonstrate past success working with students in urban settings and non-selective schools
- LCSW required
About Crescent City Schools
A nonprofit Charter Management Organization, our mission is to support and develop open enrollment charter schools that raise student achievement and prepare students for college. As a part of the ongoing effort to rebuild New Orleans public schools, Crescent City Schools currently operates three PreK-8 open-enrollment charter schools: Harriet Tubman Charter School, located in the Algiers neighborhood; Akili Academy, located in the Upper 9th Ward; and Paul Habans Charter School, located in Algiers. Each of our schools provides students personalized learning and enrichment programs, focusing on civic engagement, sports and recreation, the arts, and academic achievement. Our organization creates life-changing educational experiences for students and, through this work, transforms a city.
Compensation is competitive and based on experience.