POSITION: DATA ENGINEER
Cota is looking for a Data Engineer to help us architect how we ingest, store, and query data across the Cota platform. You’ll be making pivotal decisions on how we manage our data at scale, and how we make it available to multiple engineers and analysts across the organization. Additionally, you will be an individual contributor following through on those design decisions.
Our data is primarily medical data, so any experience with EMR systems and other HIPAA practices will be a strong plus. Over time, we expect you to become an expert on the data model and be able to translate requests from other departments into specific data queries/reports.
Our ideal candidate will have experience managing multiple streams of data, and have strong experience and opinions on the ETL process we should follow, where to use relational databases, where to use services like BigQuery/Redshift, and ElasticSearch.
ABOUT ENGINEERING AT COTA
We help others make and understand connections in a complex web of data. On one end of the spectrum, we ingest large amounts of heterogeneous data, ranging from multi-GB exports from large data providers to individual facts extracted by abstractors from scanned paper records. On the other end of the spectrum, we serve information derived from the process data to consumers like doctors and other healthcare decision makers who draw meaningful conclusions about the current state of their patients.
As an engineering team, we build robust scalable platforms and products that help further the business. Being data-driven, and entering the realm of Fast Data, we solve interesting technical challenges on a daily basis. This is an opportunity to join a company embracing a modern Technology culture, where you will be able to impact many lives and have a major impact on COTA’s offerings.
- Develop and maintain various data ETL processes and the data warehouse
- Implement quality monitoring to report on the accuracy and relevancy of processed data
- Support data analytics requests for bespoke reports and data exports
- Understand the available architectures and technologies, assess the available options
- Catalog our overall schema design and reference data
- As part of a team, own data-centric processes, develop alerts for errors and service issues, and respond to alerts
- Contribute, shape, improve the way we use and manage infrastructure
- Perform specialized data investigations to support analytics and custom reporting scenarios
- Participate in code reviews with a goal of understanding the overall data pipeline and ensuring data quality
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related major, or equivalent work experience
- Able to write well-documented, reusable, and testable code
- Strong working knowledge of Postgres or other relational databases
- Ability to write complex SQL queries for ETL or reporting
- Experience with R or Pandas a plus
- Proficiency in distributed version control systems such as git or mercurial (we use git).
- Proficiency working as part of an Agile development team
- Experience with workflow/scheduling frameworks a plus.
- Design experience a plus
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with colleagues on requirements and set expectations accordingly
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Energetic and self-starting
At Cota, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity with the belief that it drives our innovation. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is a guiding principle on how we build teams and develop leaders. As part of our commitment to building a respectful culture that encourages, develops and celebrates different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, culture, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment decisions, including decisions to hire and promote, will be based on merit, competence, business need and performance.
We are a proud equal opportunity employer.