The role of the Development Manager is to manage the delivery of current and future products. The role takes responsibility for the development of high-quality products on a day-to-day basis to agreed timeframes. The role is not hands-on but there is an expectation that a deep technical understanding is necessary, as is leading the continuous review of development practices, standards and guidelines.
The role will suit a detail-oriented software development professional who is passionate about producing great software as well as comfortable with broader thinking, with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and deliver successfully in a collaborative environment. This role will require exceptional communication and management skills to engage with internal and external stakeholders.
Summary of essential job functions
This position will be responsible for the following;
· Take and maintain ownership of Corethree’s software development
· Management, leadership and mentoring of the Corethree development team
· Work with the project managers to scope, plan and deliver release schedules and manage prioritisation of new requirements for both as they occur during the development cycle.
· Ensure that processes are followed and continually improved, reporting against progress and performance metrics.
· Understanding of business requirements and the process of translating them into well-engineered and integrated technical solutions using reusable components.
· Working as a senior member of a cross functional team comprised of Architecture, Development, DevOps, and QA
· Making technical design decisions in line with department standards and strategy
· Playing a key role in identifying and championing improvements in the areas of technology, process, and product
· Identify individual and team objectives that are driven by clear market opportunities aligned with company strategy and principles.
· Liaise with technical staff at customer and partner organisations
Critical Performance Areas
· Deliver concurrent projects to schedule, quality and budget and satisfy internal and external expectations, requirements, and service levels.
· Assessing the accuracy of development estimates provided by the team
· Success of solutions produced as measured by feedback from colleagues and customers, as well as success in the marketplace
· Ability to effectively utilise the available development team members to maximise the group’s productivity
· Able to demonstrate a strong level of knowledge of relevant software development standards, issues and methodologies. A commitment to, and demonstrated ability to contribute to, the continuous improvement of technical solutions
· Leadership & Facilitation – Able to lead customers, partners/suppliers, and all teams in the organisation to bring together diverse opinions and agree upon coherent technical solutions
· A willingness to adapt to change to trial new methods of working as part of a drive for continuous improvement
· Reporting on development KPI’s and metrics
· Setting and measuring team and individual objectives based on business objectives
Experience & Qualifications
· Substantial experience in managing high performing software development teams that have delivered on-time, quality software
· Substantial experience with an Agile methodology and different software methodologies - including working with a Lean methodology or Scrum, XP or a similar Agile methodology.
· Thorough understanding of Test-Driven Development and/or Behaviour Driven Development.
· Experience with large systems provided as a service (e.g. PaaS, SaaS), payment gateways with significant scale of users, transaction throughput and product complexity
· Strong skills in working with the business, and building understanding of their processes
· Experience of a Continuous Integration or Continuous Delivery environment
· A technical background with a good understanding of how to build maintainable applications optimised for operations, APIs/interfaces, databases, user facing apps and web sites/mobile apps
· Any experience of mobile development in iOS, Android or HTML5 is a significant bonus
All of the following:
- .NET (Other languages considered dependent on overall experience)
- AWS experience
· Ability to have a positive impact on others and communicate openly and directly to individuals or groups at all levels
· Ability to motivate others to achieve goals and generate confidence whilst respecting and supporting colleagues and team members to reach their full potential.
· Ability to identify current and future talent to contribute to business success
· Displays technical leadership and encourage it within others
· Ability to manage time effectively and direct others towards the same standards
· Ability to translate strategic objectives into everyday activity and guide and motivate others to do the same
· An excellent communicator, ensuring solutions are communicated in relevant, compelling and engaging fashions across written, visual and oral mediums, including up to executive level.
· Self-motivated and ambitious. Good team player. Looks for innovation in their work. Confident in dealing with people of all levels – both internally and externally. Ability to deal with pressures of working to deadlines.
· Diplomatic. Organised and methodical, with an attention to detail.