Contract Simply is looking for a Director of Business Development in Austin.
We help financial institutions and real estate developers manage construction finances intelligently using automation and and machine learning. Unlike a typical loan, a construction loan isn’t a single payment. Instead, it’s broken up into monthly payments called draws. That monthly draw process is complicated, with many stakeholders, competing interests and hundreds of documents. Currently, all of this is managed with excel spreadsheets, PDFs, emails, and on paper. Our software helps lenders, real estate developers, and other stakeholders produce and process this documentation, leading to fewer errors and faster payments.
We’re currently small (around 15 employees) and YC-backed. You’d be working directly with the founders in a company that values being purposeful, efficient, driven, authentic, transparent, curious, and agile.
Who we are looking for:
An experienced business development executive to be a key representative of the company across the industry. There are a number of strategic partnerships & channel development opportunities that will be required for our customer’s success and that could provide accelerated growth for the company. Our direct sales efforts will focus on lenders and developers, but there are other key participants within the industry including technology partners, funds management firms, large equity partners, and trade associations that Contract Simply needs to work with in various capacities. This person would develop our strategy and then sell and manage these key relationships to drive new sales and adoption of our software across the industry.
In addition, this person would partner with our CEO in being one of the two main outward facing representatives of the company at conferences and in key industry associations and organizations.
Finally, the Director of Business Development will partner with our Director of Marketing on our PR and content management initiatives. You will work with marketing to publish content on various channels and handle media interviews that our CEO doesn’t do himself.
Being a Director:
This role requires a leader that is willing to do the day-to-day tasks of the role, while simultaneously building the team. Therein, a key part of the role is the ability to recruit and train talent to grow the Business Development group over time. As such, this role requires the ability to develop our high level strategy and hire and manage a team, while remaining an effective individual contributor.
The complexity of this role:
Construction loans are extremely complicated with many stakeholders. These are sophisticated financial transactions with equity partners, syndicate partners, public partners, subcontractors, general contractors, and developers. As such, our product will need to be built into the existing processes of the various stakeholders and integrated with their core systems. Our success with our customers will be partially driven by how streamlined and easy we can fit into and improve on how they manage their construction finances today. As a part of business development, you will need to find where partners and stakeholders fit into our service and how they benefit from our value chain.
- Develop the company’s partner and industry engagement strategy
- Sell and manage our key partner relationships including technology partners (accounting software, etc.) and non-bank/developer channels (funds managers, equity partners, etc)
- Drive new sales through channel partners
- Represent the company and apply for speaking opportunities in key industry organizations such as CREtech, ULI, Financial Organizations etc.
- Support sales team in key sales cycle events as an industry domain expert
- Provide thought leadership content and serve as one of the faces for our content and PR strategies
- Support marketing as a key participant in webinars and similar marketing initiatives
- Work with product management team to drive integration requirements for partners
- Construction industry and finance domain expert
- Ability to understand our customer’s core systems and processes to effectively communicate these requirements to our product management team.
- Ability to handle the development of multiple partner relationships at a time
- Excellent presenter and communicator
- Ability to train and support channel partners to drive sales and adoption
- Ability to hire, manage, and lead a team
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Bachelors in quantitative discipline (finance, accounting, economics, or math)
- High emotional intelligence and charisma will be important while working with a wide variety of client personas and roles
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- High level of business acumen
- Strong writing and strategic communication skills
We offer competitive pay and benefits, plus equity. Despite being a startup, we do value work/life balance.
Contract Simply is an equal opportunity employer; however, we only hire hard-working people who are very fun, very curious, and very smart.