VP of Engineering
Full-Time, Tel Aviv
The Code Ocean
management team is looking for an experienced Vice President of Engineering to establish Code Ocean as a leading research tool in the corporate and academic world. We’re looking for a collaborative individual with great communication skills, who is excited about building and growing an effective engineering team in Israel and working with a distributed management team.
This position reports directly to our CEO who is based in our HQ in NYC.
Our Problem Space
is a computational reproducibility platform that provides researchers an easy way to create, collaborate on, share, discover, and execute code and analyze data. Originally created to address the reproducibility crisis
, the platform enables the reproduction of any past algorithm/analysis version by archiving the matching code, data, and computing environment.
Code Ocean currently serves as the system of record for scientific publishing and academic institutions and has recently initiated its activity in the biopharma and financial markets.
For organizations, it is an analysis system of record with full history. This functionality can be used for internal or external purposes, such as intercompany collaboration or regulatory archiving requirements. It incorporates computing capabilities and tools such as git, Docker, Jupyter, RStudio, Python, MATLAB and more, allowing for real-time development and execution.
For researchers, we revamp the entire research analysis workflow, starting with the moment a researcher writes their first line of code. The typical researcher’s coding workflow today is a confusing, fragmented process of using tools built by software developers (not scientists), cobbled together across multiple systems, with clunky, homegrown workarounds. Using CO, researchers can focus on what they do best: discovering truths about how our world works.
- Grow our backend and frontend teams (currently 9 employees), including recruiting, developing, and preservation of developers and team leads. Make sure the team is challenged and aligned with the company’s business model and values. Be the voice of the developers and ensure that the team is engaged in new product development
- Brainstorm with the Chief Product Officer and CTO on our customers' needs and possible solutions and provide feedback on product specifications and designs
- Be involved in the day to day work of the R&D center. Finalize specs along with product and prioritize tasks
- Create a positive work environment and work closely with the product from ideation and throughout the development process to ensure smooth development. Identify and solve problems collaboratively with the product. Own the internal communications about progress
- Create and manage processes for working in an organized, collaborative manner in a distributed environment. Define code quality, QA, and support standards, and develop a system to provide estimations for development and ensure on-time delivery
- Implement an effective organizational structure that balances process, accountability, and scalability with product velocity and innovation as Code Ocean continues to grow
- Work with our CTO office on mutual initiatives and projects hand-offs from time to time
- Be an active member of CO's executive team and lead strategic initiatives
- Attend meetings with leading customers to understand their workflows and needs
- Travel to work directly with our remote management, business, and product in NY a few times a year
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent technical experience
- Minimum 10 years of relevant technical experience
- Minimum 5 years of management roles in R&D, preferably as VP of Engineering
- Previous work experience in a growing software startup company, preferably going through the process of growing the company from 10 to 70 employees, including building an accountable team and putting processes into place
- Exceptional communication skills and adaptability to different communication methods (in person, remote, textual)
- Values transparency, with a collaboration-focused mindset
- Flexibility and openness to trying new things
- Independent, a macro manager, with great leadership skills
- Experience working in a large company with well-defined development processes
- Experience working with remote, cross-cultural teams
How to Apply
To apply, please email:
- A short, 250-word statement about what draws you to Code Ocean
- Your résumé, CV, or LinkedIn Profile