Technical Product Manager
Job Posting - April 2019
The Code Ocean
Product Team is growing to include a new Technical Product Manager – an independent, thoughtful individual and natural bridge-builder inspired by a meaningful mission and excited about remote and multicultural work.
This position is based in New York City, though we are open to considering strong remote candidates.
Our Problem Space
Have you heard of the reproducibility crisis
? One of the biggest challenges facing scientists and researchers today is the inability to locate, set up, and run the original source code that produced the same results in published studies. Code Ocean
set out in 2014 to tackle this problem, and to date we’ve built a world-class platform for sharing fully reproducible scientific code, used by authors in journals like Nature, Cell, and the IEEE family.
The next step in our mission is to revamp the entire computational research workflow, starting with a researcher’s first line of code. The typical researcher’s development workflow is a confusing, fragmented process, reliant on tools built by software developers (not scientists), cobbled together in a fragile manner, and not optimized for tasks like tracking versions and collaborating. We want to make their work easier by building a coherent research platform to address the entire workflow, so researchers can focus on discovery rather than debugging their setup.
- Drive the product towards the company’s vision by breaking down and scoping out work in collaboration with the Chief Product Officer
- Balance researchers’ perspectives and business requirements at the outset of every project to define product specifications and think through scenarios, use cases, and the product’s business logic
- Plan sequencing and prioritization for development efforts in close collaboration with engineering leadership, working to identify areas of uncertainty, forming hypotheses and testing them to reduce risk
- Lead the product development process, working to ensure alignment by managing communications and questions about product specifications or designs as they arise
- Travel to work with remote teams as necessary
- Keep marketing, sales and outreach informed of future releases as well as progress on current release
- Be the voice of the user and the subject-matter expert. Build relationships with academic researchers, and develop a deep understanding of their day to day work; keep your finger on the pulse of the computational research world and adjacent spaces to identify trends and opportunities
- Keep track of user feedback, product analytics, and incoming ideas/opportunities. Manage the backlog in collaboration with the Chief Product Officer.
- Work with lead experience designer to internalize user research and convert it into actionable plans for improvement.
- Minimum 4 years of product management experience building and maintaining complex software systems in SaaS space
- Familiarity with modern software development practices, tools, and workflows
- Empathetic and compassionate listener, yet disciplined and organized communicator. Takes the time to fully understand problems and viewpoints before acting
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, adaptability to different communication methods (in person, remote, asynchronous) and a keen ability to translate between the languages of business, product, and engineering
- Postgraduate research experience in a computationally-intensive discipline, or strong familiarity with science, academia, and computational research workflows
- Experience working with remote, cross-cultural teams
Working at Code Ocean
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits, including flexible work hours, LGBTQ-inclusive healthcare, a professional development stipend, and more
. We are a tight-knit, multi-location and partially remote team of dedicated, mission-driven people who enjoy solving complex and challenging problems, but also strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Code Ocean is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive work environment for all people, regardless of background, age or identity. Our team spans different cultures and backgrounds, and we believe our work is strengthened by a diversity of life experiences. We especially encourage members of communities underrepresented in tech to apply, including women, people of color, people who are LGBTQ, and people with disabilities.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
How to Apply
To apply, please send:
- A short, 250 word statement about what draws you to Code Ocean
- Your résumé, CV, or LinkedIn Profile