The UX Team draws heavily from the user-centered design tradition as well as the social sciences to form the basis of our work: gathering insights into the experiences, desires, motivations and the needs of both the people who use and who provide services. And creating meaningful experiences where there were none. As a User Experience Designer, you'll report to our UX Director of the Product Design Group. Like all our UX, your responsibility is to the user. You will empathize with and thoroughly understand the goals, desires and preferences of the target users. You'll use this knowledge to inform concepts and innovative solutions across projects. In the product group, you will be creating applications and product experiences from concept as well as iterating on existing platforms. You will be responsible for advocating for the practice and design solutions with the team and clients. And identifying the types of deliverables needed to achieve the project goals and preparing those deliverables for all stakeholders: client, visual design and technology. Typically project documentation can take the form of process sketches, service blueprints, ecosystems, story boards, wires frames, content inventories, motion studies and specifications, among others.
User Experience Designers at Code and Theory are involved in the following activities:
- Leading UX stream of work on the one to two projects
- Defining, sharing and delivering work to ensure project excellence
- Leading one to two expert in-house training sessions
- Managing and mentoring junior UX on project team
- Contributing to over all growth of the UX team
- Participating in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including product ideation and definition, UI design, and user research and testing.
- Working on both tactical and strategic aspects of a project
- Presenting work and rationale for internal and external stakeholders
- Working across project teams executing on direction from team leads, either UX or other creative leaders to deliver exceptional solutions for our clients
- Collaborating with members of multidisciplinary teams and advocate for users and user centered design practices.
- Maintaining an understanding of digital trends and capabilities and actively participates in establishing a strong design culture
- Conceptualizing and articulating strong, user-centered and delightful interactions
- Assisting or leading on research initiatives
- Creating and maintaining documentation and deliverables for multiple stakeholders: clients, visual design and developers
- Designing applications and product experiences either from concept or as an iteration on existing platforms
- Articulating decisions with research data, designing principles or other objective information
- 3+ years of experience. Should include some agency experience.
- Degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, HCI, or related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree)
- You listen well and have excellent speaking and writing skills.
- You can observe, analyze, question, synthesize and conceptualize.
- You can articulate your decision and design process
- You are respectful when challenging assumptions and give and receive feedback with equal grace.
- You are a responsible adult. You estimate work, commit and deliver on deadlines and are vocal when risk arises.
- You have a design aesthetic. Your documents are simple, informative and filled with value. There is an attention to detail that borders on neurotic.
- You put pen to paper before you pick up a mouse.
- Curiosity that drives you to look at the world as a solution instead of just existing patterns and mental models.
- Ideally you know a bit of code, most of the Adobe suite and some animation. Two of the three are essential.
- Understanding of design research, user experience design processes and methodology, its value and how to integrate into work.
Code and Theory is a digital-first strategic and creative agency that designs products, content, and campaigns across physical and digital environments. Founded in 2001 and operating out of offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Atlanta, and Manila, we believe a mix of technology and creativity can solve complex business problems to drive forward innovative change.
From helping to redefining the publishing landscape through our work with media companies such as NBC News, WWE, Bloomberg, The BBC, The Outline, Vogue, and The Guardian, to creating award-winning marketing programs for brands such as Maybelline New York, Victoria’s Secret, and Burger King, to developing unique customer experiences for NYLife, Quest Diagnostics, Citibank, Dignity Health, Reebok and Colgate to designing physical products for companies like Brown-Forman, Hearst, and Comcast, Code and Theory is a creative agency built for the entire ecosystem.
At Code and Theory, we strive to only be limited by our own ambition and creativity. We believe in pushing beyond the easy and obvious answers in order to deliver the solutions that are right for our clients, their businesses, and their users.
In addition to working with the smart and passionate people that make up the Code and Theory family, you also get the perks. Our beautiful studio is located in the historic Rochelle School in Shoreditch.
Code and Theory London offers competitive private medical and dental benefits along with a pension plan.
Code and Theory is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.