As our Design Director, you'll report to our Managing Director of the London studio and be responsible for developing original creative design concepts and approaches on our most high profile projects. In addition to overseeing and developing talent in the visual design group, you will oversee multiple projects from conception to execution, collaborating with a multi- disciplinary team of creative strategists, UX designers, and developers throughout.
This key position involves working with project management and strategy as well as, managing designers and art directors to ensure that project deliverables satisfy the client, go out on time and on budget, and support project goals. The role is a mix of doing and leading, while also partnering with our clients to be their trusted creative partner. There are times where you will roll your sleeves up to be the lead designer on a project and times where you will set a vision and facilitate the execution across your team.
Typically Design Director at Code and Theory are involved in the following activities:
- Conceiving and creating experience-oriented design solutions that fulfill strategic business objectives
- Consistently delivering strong design strategy and multiple design concepts that exceed each client's project objectives
- Taking a leadership role in collaborations between the creative strategy, UX, visual design, development team, and client to create effective design strategies
- Acting as a creative lead by directing, inspiring, overseeing, and mentoring a team of art directors and designers
- Establishing the visual direction for our projects, working with your team to execute on vision
- Developing compelling, creative, and user-focused experiences and points of view that align with clients’ business objectives
- Collaborating with the cross discipline team to create and execute experience style guides, interaction patterns, and information design standards
- Articulating and defending conceptual and visual design choices
- Responsible for inspiring and motivating creative teams and serving as overall design lead while also managing design teams on and across major engagements
- Promoting continual creative improvement and actively contributing to a culture of innovation, excellence and accountability
- Responsible for mentoring and leading junior creative staff through critique of their work to maintain consistent creative quality
- Recognizing and mentoring strong design talent and potential within the visual design team
- Helping recruit future design talent and acting as a leader in setting and nurturing the company’s culture
- Participating in many new business development efforts
- Building and maintaining a close relationship with management-level counterparts
- Bachelor degree required
- 8+ years experience in a creative leadership role (at least 6+ years digital agency environment)
- Deep experience defining and driving the design process, with superior typographical, motion and interaction design skills
- A strong history of multi-platform design, including responsive web sites, app design, and interface design
- Strong ability to prioritize work and resources across engagements based upon short and long-term needs
- Comprehensive awareness and interest in new platforms and technologies for the digital channels and related mediums
- Strong ability to provide clear creative direction and provide timely and helpful feedback to improve creative processes to keep work on budget and schedule
- Ability to establish an independent view, effectively collaborate in decision-making, and motivate others
- Excellent presentation skills and communication abilities at all levels of both internal and client organizations
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with management and external resources.
- Strong knowledge of cross-team collaboration
- Ability to exercise high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated leadership in fostering continuous learning, empowerment, involvement, and opportunities
- Expert mastery of knowledge of Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, and familiarity After Effects (or another animation platform in order to quickly animate designs)
Code and Theory is a digital-first strategic and creative agency that designs products, content, and campaigns across physical and digital environments. Founded in 2001 and operating out of offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Atlanta, and Manila, we believe a mix of technology and creativity can solve complex business problems to drive forward innovative change.
From helping to redefining the publishing landscape through our work with media companies such as NBC News, WWE, Bloomberg, The BBC, The Outline, Vogue, and The Guardian, to creating award-winning marketing programs for brands such as Maybelline New York, Victoria’s Secret, and Burger King, to developing unique customer experiences for NYLife, Quest Diagnostics, Citibank, Dignity Health, Reebok and Colgate to designing physical products for companies like Brown-Forman, Hearst, and Comcast, Code and Theory is a creative agency built for the entire ecosystem.
At Code and Theory, we strive to only be limited by our own ambition and creativity. We believe in pushing beyond the easy and obvious answers in order to deliver the solutions that are right for our clients, their businesses, and their users.
In addition to working with the smart and passionate people that make up the Code and Theory family, you also get the perks. Our beautiful studio is located in the historic Rochelle School in Shoreditch.
Code and Theory London offers competitive private medical and dental benefits along with a pension plan.
Code and Theory is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.