The UX Team draws heavily from the user-centered design tradition as well as the social sciences
to form the basis of our work: gathering insights into the experiences, desires, motivations and the needs of both the people who use and who provide services. And creating meaningful experiences where there were none.
As a Senior User Experience Designer, you'll report to our Associate UX Director.
Like all our UX, your responsibility is to the user. You will empathize with and thoroughly understand the goals, desires and preferences of the target users. You’ll use this knowledge to inform concepts and innovative solutions across one to two projects. You will be a leader in the UX group and expected to mentor junior UX and educate fellow team members and clients on the opportunity and value of UX. You will contribute to the UX practice at Code and Theory and evolve the discipline to meet the needs our of projects. You are responsible for shepherding work through the process; specifically, identifying the needed deliverables, estimating effort, ensuring collaboration across disciplines and approvals from internal and external stakeholders. And as a leader, you will be part of the work process, crafting deliverables as needed. You should have a least one area of deep knowledge - industry specialization, research, animation or
prototyping - and good general skills across all.
Typically Senior UX Designer at Code and Theory are involved in the following activities:
- Leading UX stream of work on the one to two projects
- Defining, sharing and delivering work to ensure project excellence
- Leading one to two expert in-house training sessions
- Managing and mentoring junior UX on project team
- Contributing to overall growth of the UX team
- Participating in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including product ideation and definition, UI design, and user research and testing.
- Working on both tactical and strategic aspects of a project
- Presenting work and rationale for internal and external stakeholders
- Working across project teams executing on direction from team leads, either UX or other creative leaders to deliver exceptional solutions for our clients
- Collaborating with members of multidisciplinary teams and advocate for users and user centered design practices.
- Maintaining an understanding of digital trends and capabilities and actively participates in establishing a strong design culture
- Conceptualizing and articulating strong, user-centered and delightful interactions
- Assisting or leading on research initiatives
- Creating and maintaining documentation and deliverables for multiple stakeholders: clients, visual design and developers
- Designing applications and product experiences either from concept or as an iteration on existing platforms
- Articulating decisions with research data, designing principles or other objective information
- 5 + years of experience. Should include some agency experience.
- Degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, HCI, or related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree)
- You listen well and have excellent speaking and writing skills.
- You can observe, analyze, question, synthesize and conceptualize.
- You can articulate your decision and design process
- You are respectful when challenging assumptions and give and receive feedback with equal grace.
- You estimate work, commit and deliver on deadlines and are vocal when risk arises.
- You have a design aesthetic. Your documents are simple, informative and filled with value. There is an attention to detail that borders on neurotic.
- You put pen to paper before you pick up a mouse.
- Curiosity that drives you to look at the world as a solution instead of just existing patterns and mental models.
Code and Theory is a digital-first strategic and creative agency that designs products, content, and campaigns across physical and digital environments. Founded in 2001 and operating out of offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Atlanta, and Manilla, we believe a mix of technology and creativity can solve complex business problems to drive forward innovative change.
From helping to redefining the publishing landscape through our work with media companies such as National Geographic, WWE, Bloomberg, The BBC, The Los Angeles Times, Vogue, and The Guardian, to creating award-winning marketing programs for brands such as Maybelline New York, Victoria’s Secret, Chandon, and BURGER KING®, to designing physical products for companies like Brown-Forman, Hearst, and Comcast, Code and Theory is a creative agency built for the entire ecosystem.
At Code and Theory, we strive to only be limited by our own ambition and creativity. We believe in pushing beyond the easy and obvious answers in order to deliver the solutions that are right for our clients, their businesses, and their users.
In addition to working with the smart and passionate people that make up the Code and Theory family, you also get the perks. Our beautiful studio is located in the historic Rochelle School in Shoreditch.
Code and Theory London offers competitive private medical and dental benefits along with a pension plan.