Join us in making roads safer by making drivers better!
Cambridge Mobile Telematics (CMT) - www.cmtelematics.com
- is looking for a QA Engineer to help us test our backend services.
You will be joining a small, dynamic team of outstanding software engineers, QA engineers, and product managers who are working to build software to help make drivers smarter and roads safer. CMT pioneered the development of smartphone telematics services and big data analytics to offer a behavior-based program to automotive insurance companies and, more broadly, the connected car ecosystem. We are the market leader with key mobile telematics and big data expertise, yet we are always striving to learn more and innovate further. CMT was founded in 2010 but we are still small and maintain a startup culture – often experimenting and nimbly adjusting to the needs of our customers and the market.
As a QA Engineer at CMT, you will translate requirements into testable hypotheses and then find ways to test them. You will become the expert in at least one aspect of our product, and you'll help the team ensure that this piece is working well as part of the whole. You'll debug both technology and business processes, sometimes in the same day. You'll expose hidden assumptions and hidden risks, helping the team navigate around problems and deliver the best software possible. As part of a small team, your contributions will be important and visible. Your role will provide significant exposure to a number of exciting new developments in mobile sensing, IoT firmware, and large-scale analytics / machine learning.
A typical week might include designing and executing tests of a new feature or a new backend component, designing and performing regression tests for new backend releases, logging bugs, meeting with the product team and developers to work out design details, meeting with the hardware team to learn about new firmware changes, and analyzing logs to look for clues about the cause of unexpected behavior.
The ideal candidate will have experience performing exploratory or hypothesis-based testing and troubleshooting complex systems. The ideal candidate will also be curious, adaptable, and self-motivated.
Current members of the QA team have a wide variety of backgrounds, with degrees in biology, humanities, and physics. Your ability to figure out new technology and find bugs is more important than your major or your previous job titles. This role may be a good fit for you if you:
- Notice inconsistencies and unexpected patterns and feel driven to figure out their origin
- Have ever learned how to use a new software tool on your own to make something easier to do
- Have ever become the go-to person for questions about how to use software, especially if you were the newest member of the team and everyone else had been using the software for much longer
- Excel at identifying assumptions and gaps in logic
- Collaborate with our Product team to review requirements; provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Collaborate with our Cloud, Hardware, Mobile, and Data teams to review implementation details and documentation
- Perform exploratory testing and document results
- Identify, record, document, and track bugs
- Perform regression testing when bugs are resolved
- BS or MS degree in a Science or Engineering subject, or equivalent experience in a technical role
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to take minimal direction and figure out the details (e.g., by reading documentation, experimenting with the software, or asking questions)
- Admin-level skill in Linux
- Advanced Python knowledge
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
About Cambridge Mobile Telematics
At Cambridge Mobile Telematics (CMT), our mission is to make the world’s roads safer. We are the global market leader in mobile telematics with customers in over 20 countries serving millions of drivers. Our team uses mobile sensing and IoT devices, machine learning, applied statistics, and behavioral science to solve real-world problems to produce clear and actionable insights for drivers, insurers, and fleets. Founded in 2010 from an MIT research project, we still maintain a startup culture – often experimenting and nimbly adjusting to the needs of our customers and the market. We are well-financed thanks to customer revenues and a $500M investment from the SoftBank Vision Fund. Please visit www.cmtelematics.com
for more information and follow @cmtelematics on Twitter.