Clippings is completely reimagining the way that interior design projects are designed and procured; over $500 bn is spent annually across the globe on furniture & construction materials to create the spaces that we live, work and play in, but the industry is entirely offline, deeply fragmented and hugely inefficient. Interior designers bear the consequence with 70% of their time spent on manual processes such as browsing paper product catalogues, emailing manufacturers to request product information, calling dealers to get quotes, generating thousand row product specification spreadsheets and coordinating deliveries with tens of suppliers for a single project.
Our mission is to become the world’s leading platform to procure interior design projects, using technology to power a superior experience. Interior designers are able to access our marketplace and discover 14m+ products from over 1,000 brands including Steelcase, Herman Miller, HAY & Flos. They can create their product specification and collaborate with their clients, colleagues and our team on platform. They’re able to get instant project pricing and once an order is confirmed, they have fully transparent logistics tracking. We’ve created an end-to-end solution that significantly reduces the time, friction and cost required to create exceptional spaces. Thousands of interior designers including teams designing for WeWork, Amazon, InterContinental, Citroën and Virgin are already using our platform to manage their projects, from inspiration to installation.
Our business model resonates with our core customers and has made us the fastest growing company in the commercial furniture industry in the UK, and we have raised $20m in funding from US-based Advanced Venture Partners (Farfetch, Rent the Runway, Vestiaire Collective) and C4 Ventures (founded by former VP of Apple EMEIA). Though our ambition is global, we started the business in 2014 in Sofia, where our engineering team is based, and one of our co-founders is Bulgarian.
The VP of Engineering will take full ownership of Clippings’ engineering strategy and product delivery, to help drive aggressive growth of our business globally. You will be a strategic business thinker, a strong background in software development/architecture and will have a proven track record of building teams to deliver complex engineering projects at scale. You will partner with our VP Product & CTO to deliver product excellence that could significantly impact the world. You will spearhead the development of a world-class engineering organisation, be a key member of the senior leadership team and will report to the CEO/Co-founder.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Owning, developing and communicating our technology strategy, architecture and roadmap, based on our broader business goals and product vision
- Partnering with the Product organisation and CTO to develop the product roadmap and align the technology strategy, architecture and roadmap with our broader business goals
- Building and managing the whole software delivery process and cadence within the Engineering team to deliver timely, high-quality product features in an efficient manner
- Building, leading and coaching a high-performance engineering organisation, including setting goals, budgets, and operational KPIs
- Recruiting world-class managers and individual contributors to grow our engineering team and capacity
- Developing and managing the technology budget, including team costs, infrastructure costs, software licensing and contractor fees
What we are looking for
- 10+ years of experience in engineering, 5+ years in management with track-record of building process to deliver incredible product experiences. Ecommerce and SaaS experience is an advantage
- A strategic leader with proven ability to translate business goals to engineering strategy and tactical plans
- Experience in hiring, leading and scaling a high-performing engineering team to 100- people and beyond, and creating a team culture that has a sense of purpose and urgency. Experience in working across international organisations is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly translate and articulate business to technical objectives for the engineering team, wider organisation, board and investors
- Someone who makes data-driven decisions and builds an organisation based on setting ambitious but achievable KPIs and long-term goals
- Someone who deeply cares about UX and is able to infect the team with that passion
- A self-starter with a natural sense of urgency that thrives in entrepreneurial, fast-moving, cross-functional organisations
What we're offering
- A rare opportunity to leave your mark by playing a critical role in redefining one of the last remaining $500b+ industries that has such a huge impact on our lives but has not been transformed by technology yet
- The opportunity to work alongside an exceptionally talented team and take leadership in a startup growing 2-3x every year
- A working environment with a strong company culture, that cares deeply about Product & Engineering
- Competitive salary and share options package
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
All applications will be treated in strict confidentiality.