Climacell’s R&D Team is a mixture of scientists and engineers committed to generating the best and most novel data and models across all times: historical, real-time and forecast. We also focus on making everything become a weather station (from cars to microwave links to IoT devices). The story just begins when the data hits our ingest and post-processing services. Every product that the user sees is the result of a pipeline of algorithms that needs to be run quickly and continuously. We are the team that builds the architecture behind the data and the models, to prepare the weather analyses, for the Product and Engineering team to serve to the masses.
We’re looking for a Lead Atmospheric Data Scientist to help coordinate the development and productionalization of meteorology R&D data products by working closely with other Atmospheric Data Scientists, as well as individually contributing to these projects as a technical leader and make sure we are building the biggest weather platform in the world.
As the Lead Atmospheric Scientist at ClimaCell, You’ll lead initiatives to develop novel ensemble statistical analysis/post-processing systems to combine unique observations and model data to produce the best possible weather forecast.
What you bring:
- Extensive background in statistical and/or machine learning applications to weather forecasting and data analysis
- Experience working with or developing state-of-the-art ensemble forecasting systems and analyses, such as NOAA’s National Blend of Models or NCAR’s DiCast system
- Knowledge of and familiarity with operational ensemble numerical weather prediction systems such as NOAA’s GEFS or ECMWF’s EPS
- Experience building statistical modeling tools using scientific Python (particularly NumPy, pandas, scikit-learn, statsmodels, or related packages) or R
- Familiarity with Linux
- 1-2+ years' industry experience, with formal or informal leadership experience
You might also have:
- Experience working on cloud computing systems, especially Amazon AWS or Google Cloud
- Experience with other scientific Python libraries or frameworks, especially those used widely in the geosciences (SciPy, sklearn, skimage, xarray, Numba, etc.) or the R “tidyverse” (dplyr, purrr, broom, etc)
- Familiarity with building data processing pipelines and databases to support big data statistical analysis applications
- A Masters or PhD in statistics, mathematics, meteorology, or any other field with corresponding coursework and application in atmospheric science
So if Data is your middle name, you're a creative thinker and your friends call you when there's a big problem to solve and if you love rain - this is the team for you.
If you have reached this point and you are super excited but not sure you check all the boxes - we still want to speak with you! Your passion is priceless. Other things can be learned.
ClimaCell is the world’s leading weather intelligence engine, powering the most compelling insights for teams to drive actions and collaboration around the world.
Building the most robust weather platform in the world, ClimaCell’s technology enables partners like JetBlue, Ford, AWS, The New England Patriots, National Grid and more to understand how the weather impacts their business operations and implement predictive action plans to improve efficiency, safety, and revenue.
ClimaCell’s stands apart through its AI powered Weather-of-Things technology, which offers hyper local weather insights for businesses via aggregation and data modeling from wireless networks, street cameras, drones, connected cars and more all around the globe.
Founded in 2015 by Harvard Business School and MIT Sloan former jet pilots and weather enthusiasts, ClimaCell is in hyper growth mode with 7x revenue growth in 2019 and offices in Boston, Boulder, Tel Aviv, and Singapore. ClimaCell also operates ClimaCell.org
, a non-profit focused on improving access to weather data globally, helping save and transform billions of lives in developing countries.
How we roll: We work in an “one office” environment. We believe that magic happens when people work together. Together also includes Zoom meetings, flexible hours and unlimited vacation days. Your success is achieved by your impact and deliveries and not by the hours you put in. We believe in transparency and directness, putting work before ego and empathy. We grow fast and move faster but we always see people first. Each person has their own career growth path for we believe that the only way for the company to grow is if you grow.