If you have experience in the developing and optimizing biological processes in bio-pharma or biotech, we are looking for you! Do you have a passion for using biotechnology to produce new sources of animal-free protein? Do you want to join a new community of activists, entrepreneurs and scientist, on a mission to create a sustainable food system for our future generations? You will love working with our egg-white protein process alongside our innovative team at the Clara Foods™ HQ.
As a Senior Process Associate, you will be working on development and optimization of fermentation and downstream purification of recombinant proteins. You will primarily be running fermenters, filtration units or ion exchange and gathering data to evaluate and optimize key process parameters of relevant unit operations on a lab scale.
Reports to: Senior Process Engineer, Process Development
Role and Responsibilities:
- Help develop and implement potential novel upstream processes to improve protein production rate, titer, yield and purity
- Help develop and potential novel downstream processes to purify proteins, increase recovery and maintain functionality
- Perform data analysis to develop understanding of the tradeoffs between process parameters and key performance indicators
- Help with equipment installation, commissioning, maintenance, support working with vendors
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal teams and external tech partners
- Develop processes in compliance with appropriate food GMPs and applicable food safety standards.
- M.S. in chemical engineering or related field, OR B.S. with 2 years of experience OR Associates with 5 years of experience
- Technical knowledge in development, implementation and optimization of fermentation processes preferred
- Technical knowledge downstream processing unit operations including centrifugation, MF/UF, column chromatography, lyophilization, and spray drying preferred
- Experience with design of experiment, statistical analysis, and modeling preferred
- Self-starter with strong organizational, and general communication skills.
- Comfortable working within a small, collaborative team, passionate about changing the food space
- Able and willing to travel as necessary (domestic and international)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods.
What Clara can offer:
- Generous benefits package; medical, dental, vision, 401k, One Medical membership, commuter benefits, free parking, life insurance, pet insurance, and more
- Unlimited paid time off and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free gym and yoga classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, local coffees, and teas
- Weekly happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a Bay Area venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins without the animal using fermentation. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting - and that technology may hold a solution.
As much as the growing market demands for animal protein production exert pressure on food producers to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale animal agriculture.
Clara Foods™ aims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the animal out of the equation. We’re bringing products to the table that are produced completely animal-free, use less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of animal proteins.