If you have experience in the design and scale-up of biological processes in bio-pharma or biotech, we are looking for you! Do you have a passion for using biotechnology to produce new sources of animal-free protein? Do you want to join a new community of activists, entrepreneurs and scientist, on a mission to create a sustainable food system for our future generations? You will love working with our egg-white protein production process alongside our innovative team at the Clara Foods™ HQ.
Reports to: VP of Product
Role and Responsibilities
● The Senior Protein Scientist will lead protein research, discovery & analysis projects in line with Clara Foods’ product commercialization strategy.
● Optimize internal and external analytical resources to provide timely and reliable analytical support to multiple functional teams within Clara Foods organization.
● Partner with Downstream processing team to develop protocols for isolating high purity proteins from microbial, plant or animal sources.
● Regular inspection, calibration and maintenance of analytical instrumentation.
● Align with commercialization team on timely procurement, evaluation & generation of know-how for protein candidates to enrich Clara’s protein discovery funnel.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
● The ideal candidate will have a master’s degree in protein chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology or similar program and have 5 to 10 years of experience in an industrial setting (e.g. analytical chemistry, biotechnology, food chemistry, protein chemistry) or a Ph.D. in the one of these areas with 3-5 years of professional analytical experience. Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods.
● Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods.
● Experience working in a GLP/GMP lab environment and familiarity with lab safety best practices is required.
● Skilled in standard protein and small molecule separation and characterization techniques (e.g. SDS-PAGE, capillary electrophoresis, enzymology, NMR, CD, UV/Vis/Fluorescence spectroscopy, HPLC, LC/GC-MS).
● Direct experience operating column chromatography system (e.g. AKTA), HPLC, microfluidics, high throughput analysis platforms would be highly desirable.
● Experience in enzyme activity measurements using kit-based systems as well as in model food systems would be highly desirable.
● Familiarity with common bacteria and fungi that positively or negatively influence food quality, functionality and shelf life would be a plus.
What Clara can offer:
- Generous benefits package; medical, dental, vision, 401k, One Medical membership, commuter benefits, free parking, life insurance, pet insurance, and more
- Unlimited paid time off and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free gym and yoga classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, local coffees, and teas
- Every other week happy hours/day time events and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
About Clara Foods™:
Clara Foods™ is reimagining egg production. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting - and that technology may hold a solution. As much as the growing market demands for egg production exert pressure on hatcheries to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale egg production. Clara Foods™ aims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the chicken out of the equation. We’re bringing an egg white to the table that is produced completely animal-free, uses less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of hen-borne egg whites.