The Chime Design team reaches far and wide—we work on physical products, service experiences, digital apps, and technical infrastructure systems for both internal and external users, including members, bank partners, risk/fraud, and a number of 3rd party vendors. We’re highly aware and sensitive about the experience just like our members -- we use Chime everyday.
The Design team’s core purpose is to understand and advocate for our users' perspectives and needs. We craft holistic experiences that address our users' needs and goals.
We are looking for an experienced design leader who can inspire a vision of a more human-centered approach to financial services and work with a talented team to bring that vision to life. In this role, you will report directly to the VP of Product and will take on a mix of design leadership, brand direction, strategic communications, internal evangelism, people management, and mentorship.
The ideal candidate will create a strong design practice and help to define ways for measuring design impact on our business. You will also provide mentorship, champion both craft and career development, as well as create the operational space and organizational cover to help designers focus on executing their best work. The Head of Design should also share our belief that the best teams are diverse, empathetic, and passionate about user problems as well as company goals.
Success in the role looks like this:
• Guide the team, both strategically and creatively. You will ensure the team creates experiences that align with business goals, but not at the consequence of members or stakeholders
• Develop the people on the team. You will be accountable for making sure those on the team receiving needed mentorship and improving their craft in areas that they want to improve
• Grow the team. You will be accountable for recruiting, hiring, and aggressively expanding the already high-functioning team of designers over the next few years
• Champion a human approach to design across the company. Acting as a design visionary and internal evangelist, you will advocate for Design Thinking and human-centered practices throughout the company
• Champion diversity and inclusion. Chime is proud of its diversity; you will work to promote and build on current practices and values
This job is the right fit for you if:
• You believe that a current financial services area predatory, chosen by default, and are ready for a new standard -- and you're passionate about tackling it
• You have an urge for thinking critically about how design and technology can be utilized to improve others' quality of life
• You are deeply thoughtful and creative, which is how your team approaches problems, how you interact with people, and how you understand the problems you have to solve
• You have a natural sense of asking why that drives you to find out how things work, if it has to be that way, and what could be improved
• You are a master of words, who can make, articulate, and represent design decisions with people not familiar with design or design process
• You strive and do help your teammates grow by demonstrating best practices, providing (and receiving) respectful and constructive feedback, and sharing your thought process with the people you manage and work with
• You maintain a positive outlook and optimistic air, especially when things don’t go as planned
• You have successfully partnered with marketing and brand teams to create a consistent visual expression of a brand throughout marketing and product experiences.
You should get in touch if:
• You’ve led successful design teams, demonstrating the impact of design to business goals
• You have worked within a fast-paced startup going through a growth phase from a hundred to multiple hundreds and have opinions on how to best scale a design team through these phases.
• You’ve worked in multi-disciplinary products across physical, digital, and service experiences
• You have deep, applied UX experience, visual execution prowess, and some research experience
About Chime: Chime’s goal as a company is to better the financial health of its members. Predominantly, Chime’s member base is comprised of what many call “paycheckers,” which are people who live paycheck to paycheck and oftentimes run out of money before the end of the month. These are people who fundamentally represent the majority of America—people working their hardest to survive, but oftentimes coming up short.
Big banks have turned a blind eye to this crowd’s plights, and instead saddle them with unnecessary fees to the tune of billions of dollars yearly. Chime is laser focused on changing the financial lives of this audience of people by building products that don’t take advantage of them and in fact help them be smarter with their money. We aim to take the stress out of the most stressful concept today: money.
- Competitive salary and equity based on experience, with full benefits.
- Free snacks and drinks, plus catered Wednesday lunches.
- Flexible vacation policy.
- Monthly happy hours and company events.
- Dog-friendly office.
- A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in fintech and help create a completely new kind of bank.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Chime is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.