As a key member of our design team, the product designer will work on one of ChefSteps’s core products. Our designers work to solve difficult problems for people and, at the same time, to create culture—which is really the amazing part about working here. We strive not just to make cooking easier, but also to persuade people to place greater value on the time they spend cooking so that they will do it more often.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are looking for a designer who is relentless—not just about beautiful design, but about creating a seamless user experience as well. The right candidate will have a genuine passion for digital product design, and applicants should demonstrate experience building scalable systems rather than one-off solutions. Also essential: the ability to analyze customer behavior to ensure that the product experience is simple, seamless, sticky, and always enjoyable. Bonus points to those who are savvy with AngularJS, React Native, and HTML/CSS.
When it comes to experience building and shipping products, we’re looking for designers with both depth and breadth. Depth is critical for understanding ownership and how much work you put into an end-to-end experience. We want evidence that you have both thought about a product as a whole and considered all the disparate and complex pieces that go into it—and brought the whole and the parts together harmoniously. We want a designer who can focus on designing systems as much as the UI, with product thinking that is mature and complementary to the visual and UX design. Because product designers at ChefSteps also help manage product development—we don’t have pure product managers here—we need folks who show strength in both areas. Put simply: You should feel ready to rally a team made up of people from around the company to help bring the product vision to reality.
WHAT WILL HELP YOU BE MOST SUCCESSFUL
- Well-rounded UX skills with a clear history of shipping cohesive products
- A collaborative, empathetic, and iterative design process with an emphasis on end users and problem-solving for poor or underserved markets
- Experience working with researchers and data scientists to set up, optimize, and analyze experiments
- Visual design skills that demonstrate expertise in brand identity, typography, and color theory
- Experience building interactive prototypes
- Deep knowledge of designing ecosystems, rather than one-off solutions
- A demonstrated understanding of the areas that design supports—namely, sales and product management
- Ability to turn projects into products, demonstrating ownership of the process from start to finish—including planning product features and determining when to ship
- Humility, intelligence, efficiency
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Facility with whiteboarding, sketching, and iterating
- Product management experience
- Usability or UX research skills
- Marketing/advertising/branding expertise
PERKS OF THE JOB
- Full health coverage, plus vision and dental insurance
- Competitive pay, annual salary adjustments, 401(k) plan, and ownership in the form of shares and/or options
- Self-determined leave—you schedule your own vacation and sick days, coordinating directly with your teammates
- Enriching work environment: Whether you want to master chocolate soufflé, score pro photography tips, master new math skills, or learn to pilot a glider, your ChefSteps teammates can help you. We hire fascinating people from many different backgrounds—Michelin-star chefs, award-winning animators and designers, top engineers, and globe-trotting journalists. If you come to work looking to get smarter, you’ve come to the right place.
- Design your own workstation—we encourage employees to request the tools and supplies they need to do their job well
- Dog-friendly work environment
- Seriously stocked coffee station: La Marzocco espresso maker, pour overs, French presses—we provide you with all of them, plus Herkimer beans for days. Just want a Nespresso? We’ve got that too.
- So much free food—snacks to fuel you, dishes crafted by ridiculously talented chefs to feed your very soul. Seriously, it’s like working in a secret Seattle restaurant that also happens to be the best one.
- The best parties, sailing trips, mountain vacations, and more—many of us have a background in hospitality, and we like to do it up right
- Great location. First: We work in downtown Seattle which, wow. This city is amazing. Second, we are right in the heart of Pike Place Market, which means drinking, eating, and grocery shopping in a world-class food destination mere steps from your desk. What, pray tell, could be better than that?
We believe a diverse team creates better products and a more rewarding work culture, and this belief centers our hiring process. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. To learn more about our company culture, please see our About page.