Main areas of focus: Water, sanitation, and hygiene, grant management, international program specialization
Location: This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the New York City area only. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
You'll manage relationships with charity: water's partners to implement excellent WASH programs around the world.
As Water Programs Manager, you'll oversee a group of global program partners. Reporting to the Senior Portfolio Manager, you’ll work within a small and hardworking team to make sure that charity: water's funds are invested in the most relevant and effective water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH) programs there are. You'll help extensively vet proposals before agreeing to grants and you'll develop close relationships with our local partners and make sure that the program objectives are met. You'll help build new systems that make our partnerships models of efficiency and transparency and position our programs to achieve maximum impact today and over time.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Supervising a set of implementation partners receiving up to $10M of investments in water, sanitation & hygiene programs annually.
- Managing, coordinating, and leading our partner organizations and staying informed of their progress against program objectives. This includes close coordination with Program Finance Officers to review partner proposals and reporting.
- Regularly identifying opportunities for strengthening critical technical and operational areas relating to the implementation of charity: water's funds. Including technical quality, coordination with and reliance on local institutions, and organizational efficiency.
- Visiting the field to supervise work on the ground and then agree on action plans and next steps with partners.
- Supporting the execution of portfolio goals and special initiatives as needed.
- Working collaboratively with each charity: water department (finance, compliance, programs, fundraising, creative, reporting, technology, etc.) to make sure their involvement in our water programs is maximized and efficient.
- Working closely with the Senior Portfolio Manager on the Water Programs team to plan for future commitments to partners, establish partnership multi-year plans, and incorporate lessons from previous year’s monitoring including taking action on M&E data collected for the partnerships you manage.
- Developing innovative ways to provide our beneficiaries with sustainable sources of clean drinking water, improve our partners' understanding of our requirements, capture stories from the field, gather information on program status, and plan for program expansion.
- Helping to grow and manage a post-implementation support system to ensure the sustainability of our water points.
- Carefully project managing the timelines and relationships to ensure all objectives and milestones are carried out on time.
- Spending about 20% of your time traveling to the field.
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 5 years of experience managing projects in the developing world.
- Experience working on water and sanitation programs.
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You are a leader.
You are skilled at accomplishing things through other people. You can run multiple work streams that extend far beyond your immediate team. You can provide leadership for peers, subordinates, and partners.
You have a proven track record of experience, where it matters.
You have more than five years of direct experience in project management in the developing world. The water and sanitation sector is nothing new to you.
You’re a great communicator
You can demonstrate effective partner relationship management by ensuring concise communications of needs and requirements. You operate with poise, dignity, and reliability in both your personal and professional worlds.
You’re so organized, it’s embarrassing.
When something doesn’t have a place, you make one for it and teach others to keep it that way. You can handle and prioritize multiple projects of various origins at once. You can turn any meeting or email thread into actionable items for multiple people.
You stay on top of it all.
You have excellent communication skills, both while speaking and in writing. You have professional candor and you're great at resolving problems quickly and effectively.
You work well with people... no matter how many oceans stand between you.
You have experience working across cultures. You're attuned to the inherent hurdles that exist in working across the world to build a program.
You're an avid team player.
You're confident in your skills and not afraid to speak your mind, but you know how to put the team first.
The Water Programs team works closely with our local partners, vetting, managing, monitoring the programs we fund and acquiring the information we need to report back to our donors. The Water Programs team manages approximately $70 million in donor dollars in 22 countries (and growing) each year. They are the protectors of our transparency pillar ensuring our partners continue to meet our sustainability and reporting requirements.
At charity: water, our team of world chargers believe that water changes everything. As a non-profit organization, we work to bring sustainable solutions, providing clean and safe drinking water, to those in developing countries. In 13 years, we’ve been able to bring healthier living conditions to over 10 million people in 28 countries. With the inner makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation and contagious passion. When we’re not eating pizza, gathering for Bagel Breakfasts, or Friendsgiving Feasts, we’re working side-by-side to create beautifully crafted stories and a powerful brand that inspires a whole new kind of generosity.