As Senior Portfolio Manager on the Water Programs team, you'll oversee a portfolio of global programs to ensure excellent implementation of water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programming with an annual budget of up to $20M per year. You'll skillfully manage a small and hardworking team to make sure that charity: water's funds are invested with the most relevant and effective WASH partners out there. You'll scope a realistic strategy for each partnership and support the department to find, onboard, and set strategy for new program partners. While your primary role will be to supervise a portfolio and manage a team, you’ll also keep your hands in direct partner management with a small set of partners. You'll help improve and build new systems that make our partnerships models of efficiency and transparency, and position our programs to achieve maximum impact today and over time. In this role, you will be an integral member of the Water Programs leadership team with the ability to help charity: water become a best in class WASH organization while at the same time setting us up for successful future growth.
- Oversee a portfolio of implementing partners with annual grant allocation of up to $20M. This will include guiding successful multi-year planning with core partners and supervising the full grant cycle for each partner (from RFP to proposal to completion and to reporting back to our donors).
- Serve as overall strategy lead for each partnership in your portfolio.
- Onboard and manage new partners as required.
- Carefully monitor timelines and relationships within your portfolio of partners to ensure all objectives and milestones are carried out on time.
- Coordinating special projects for charity: water’s largest partner.
- Ensure that lessons from each partner’s completed programs as well as data collected during M&E efforts are then used to inform and ultimately improve future programming.
- Build and manage a team to support the management of your portfolio of charity: water’s partners. This may include up to 4 people as well as consultants as needed. You will supervise their work, maintain a close working relationship and support their professional development as partnership managers in order for your team to most efficiently manage all grants within your portfolio.
- Partner with the Director of Program Operations, Chief Global Water Officer and other Senior Portfolio Managers to create and update department strategy.
- Identify opportunities for strengthening critical technical and operational areas relating to the implementation of charity: water's funds. This may include leading evaluation of program quality for each partnership and identifying technical resources outside of charity: water to support special quality improvement initiatives.
- Visit the field to supervise work on the ground as needed and support strategic planning with partners. Up to 25% travel expected.
- Work collaboratively with each charity: water department (finance, compliance, programs, growth, creative, reporting, technology, etc.) to make sure their involvement in our water programs is maximized and efficient.
- Work closely with the Director of Programs Operations and other Senior Portfolio Managers to develop innovative ways to provide our beneficiaries with sustainable sources of clean drinking water, improve our partners' understanding of our requirements, capture stories from the field, gather information on program status, and plan for program expansion.
- Help grow and manage a post-implementation support system to ensure sustainability of our water points.
- 5+ years experience managing projects in the developing world.
- Experience managing water and sanitation programs.
- Experience managing a high-performing team.
- U.S. work permit.
- French fluency is a plus.
You see the bigger picture
You're able to break a large project into bite-size pieces while always keeping your eye on the big goal. You think two steps ahead and can see how complex initiatives connect together for maximum impact.
You're a problem solver and strategic thinker
We find ways of getting it done at charity: water. We don't invest time on why it can't be done. You know how to articulate and roll out solutions, recognizing there are many solutions to the same problem. You find new and effective ways to streamline and create processes to increase efficiency.
You are a veteran leader.
You are skilled at accomplishing things through other people. You can run multiple work streams that extend far beyond your immediate team. You can provide leadership for peers, subordinates, and partners. As a veteran leader, you know when to give space and when to step in, drawing hard lines.
You have a proven track record of experience, where it matters.
You have successfully worked on complex projects in developing countries. The water and sanitation sector is not new to you. You have successfully completed large and important deliverables.
You work well with people... no matter how many oceans stand between you.
You have experience working across cultures. You're attuned to the inherent hurdles that exist in working across the world to build a program.
This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the NYC area only.