Internal Title: People Operations Manager
Main areas of focus: Compliance, U.S. and NYC employment law, and policies, benefits administrator
Location: This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the New York City area only. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
You’ll provide high-quality hands-on support, and care for the team. You’ll ensure our employee handbook and employee benefits are maintained, current, and compliant.
As the HR Generalist, you’ll report to and partner with the Head of People and Culture to manage the payroll, benefits, policies, compliance, and people analytics for the People and Culture team. You’ll provide high quality, hands-on support to our organization, with the top priority being care for our team of dedicated achievers. You’ll help the People and Culture team foster a community of high performance, innovation, and passion.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Focusing heavily on compliance and employment law, ensuring our people practices continually reflect and support all federal, state, and local laws.
- Owning policy development and working with the Head of People and Culture to ensure our employee handbook is maintained, current, and compliant.
- Managing and working in partnership with the Head of People and Culture to ensure we are offering a benefits package that is generous, competitive, innovative, and caters to the needs of our growing staff.
- Managing and owning the annual benefits open enrollment process, researching the best providers and plans for our staff, and being the point person for all enrollment questions.
- Partnering with our People Operations Coordinator to administer and approve payroll.
- Managing all employee leaves (i.e. FMLA and parental leave), worker’s compensation claims, and unemployment claims.
- Maintaining People and Culture metrics, reporting, and consistently providing people analytics and insights to support data-driven people decisions.
- Maintaining building emergency and safety procedures and acting as a key leader for our business continuity plan.
- During high volume times, supporting the lean People and Culture team as needed, in areas including onboarding, recruitment, culture initiatives, and staff events.
YOU MUST HAVE…
- A Bachelor’s degree in organizational management, human resources, or a related field or similar experience
- At least 4 years of People and Culture/Human Resource experience
- Experience with administering payroll
- Experience analyzing and working with benefit providers and owning or supporting open enrollment
- Experience handling sensitive information and operating with respect, integrity, and confidentiality
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Experience working directly with compliance/employment law
- Experience in people analytics
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You’re a communication ace
You know that providing clear, consistent, and compelling communication is key. You have excellent writing abilities and are able to clearly share a message that is both concise and thorough. You can communicate complex things in a way that is understandable and palatable.
You’re so organized it’s embarrassing
You pay remarkable attention to the smallest details and have meticulous organizational skills. You are able to manage many moving parts and provide organized and timely results. You are a systems thinker that loves to bring order to their projects you own.
You're passionate about accuracy
You double and triple-check your work because you know that accurate data is crucial to operating successfully. You pay strong attention to detail, have excellent math, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills.
You love working with people
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment, with people who are passionate about their work and mission. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you. One of your greatest skills is establishing and cultivating strong relationships with all types of people.
You’re a team player with a can-do attitude
You have a positive attitude and a passion for learning. You understand that everything you do impacts our employees and that no task is too small. You are willing to jump in and support where needed.
The People & Culture team cultivates and supports a high-functioning staff, engaging culture, and environment with which to ground the charity: water mission. The People and Culture team sew the values of charity: water through every project, event, benefit, or new role that is created.
At charity: water, our team of world chargers believe that water changes everything. As a non-profit organization, we work to bring sustainable solutions, providing clean and safe drinking water, to those in developing countries. In 13 years, we’ve been able to bring healthier living conditions to over 11 million people in 28 countries. With the inner makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation and contagious passion. When we’re not eating pizza, gathering for Bagel Breakfasts, or Friendsgiving Feasts, we’re working side-by-side to create beautifully crafted stories and a powerful brand that inspires a whole new kind of generosity.