Internal title: Senior Key Relationships Officer
Main areas of focus: Fundraising expertise, relationship building, communications
Location: This opportunity is for those located in the New York City area or West Coast (San Francisco or Los Angeles) only. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
You'll build and cultivate meaningful long-term relationships with our major supporters on the West Coast.
Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the Senior Major Gifts Officer will work alongside the Founder and CEO and a front-facing, passionate team of fundraisers to secure major commitments for charity: water’s mission from supporters on the West Coast. You’ll primarily focus on raising support for our operations through The Well. You’ll help the organization exceed revenue targets, and power our unique 100% model.
Senior Major Gift Officers become experts on the organization’s programmatic work, stewarding existing supporters and building new key relationships to curate a portfolio of engaged, inspired, and loyal charity: water donors.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- In 2019, supporting the team in achieving the $30M Major Gift target, while building relationships and a portfolio that will show growth in support from West Coast supporters in 2020.
- Cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding high-profile and high net worth relationships on the West Coast (focused on California) to support charity: water’s Operations, through The Well, and Water funding.
- With assistance from the Director of Major Gifts and the Revenue Operations staff, developing a qualified portfolio of prospects and current supporters capable of donating $50K+ annually for Water and $100K+ annually for Operations, raising a minimum of $3M in annual revenue in 2020.
- Becoming point person and subject matter expert for charity: water’s newest funding program, The Pool, identifying and securing pledges from founders and business leaders who have the capacity to pledge equity to support our operations.
- Partnering with and assisting the Founder & CEO in cultivating his own portfolio of supporters, lending support where appropriate and necessary.
- With assistance from the Revenue Operations staff, developing a metrics-driven strategy for your portfolio, analyzing supporter data to find new opportunities, drive efficiencies, and maximize results
- Delivering an innovative, creative, and exceptional donor experience
- Developing a strategy for cultivation and stewardship events and assisting in their coordination
- Learning, studying, and becoming an expert on charity: water’s programmatic work as well as becoming informed and articulate about international Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) issues
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 5+ years of major donor fundraising experience on the West Coast
- A proven track record of generating new leads that convert into major gifts
- A familiarity and comfort networking within the diverse industries and donors on the West Coast, including tech, finance, and entertainment
- A passion for our mission and the ability to inspire donors to renew and increase their support
- Well-honed emotional intelligence and highly developed interpersonal skills with the presence and personal style to represent the organization to a variety of constituents
- Experience communicating and partnering with Senior Executives in a matrixed fundraising environment
- Experience effectively using a CRM tool
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Proven expertise within a medium/large non-profit organization or a growing tech-savvy business
- Experience with Salesforce
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You’re a communication ace
Outstanding written and communication skills, articulate and persuasive, with exceptional relationship-building skills
You're uniquely people-oriented
You're capable of cultivating productive relationships. Working closely with Fortune 500 CEOs, philanthropists, influencers and other diverse personalities doesn't intimidate, but excites you. You build and develop these relationships with intelligence, maturity, and professionalism.
You're a deal-maker
You're comfortable asking for money and are not afraid to hear no. You possess a keen ability to sell ideas and close deals. You operate with poise, dignity, and reliability.
You understand the value of our supporters
You make sure our supporters know how much they matter to our mission. You’re able to get anyone excited about what we do and make their experience with us unique. You’re inviting, discerning and thoughtful.
The Key Relationships team works to engage and steward donors who either sponsor an entire water project or join the group of individuals who cover our operational cost as members of The Well. This charismatic group of individuals spread our mission and are often the faces of our organization. They work directly with our supporters to cultivate lasting and meaningful relationships.
At charity: water, our team of world chargers believe that water changes everything. As a non-profit organization, we work to bring sustainable solutions, providing clean and safe drinking water, to those in developing countries. In 13 years, we’ve been able to bring healthier living conditions to over 10 million people in 28 countries. With the inner makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation and contagious passion. When we’re not eating pizza, gathering for Bagel Breakfasts, or Friendsgiving Feasts, we’re working side-by-side to create beautifully crafted stories and a powerful brand that inspires a whole new kind of generosity.