As Accounting Manager, you will play a key role in the Finance Department during an exciting period of growth and process transformation. You will own various workflows within the accounting and financial reporting process. You’re a hard-working, demonstrated leader who excels in managing people and can exceed goals in a fast-paced environment. You’ll support our Assistant Controller in finding solutions to complex problems.
- Lead, manage and support the accounting team through direct supervision and coaching.
- Assist in the timely management of the month-end consolidated financial close process by keeping team priorities on track and assisting staff.
- On a monthly basis, review and approve journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations prepared by the accounting team; and investigate discrepancies and communicate issues as they arise in a timely manner.
- Continually develop, expand and improve month-end close and financial reporting procedures and timelines.
- Research and own implementation of new accounting standards.
- As the organization continues to evolve and grow, assist in the creation of new processes and implementation of new systems.
- Review and improve existing processes and systems with a focus on simplification, standardization, and optimization of manual processes.
- Support management of the year-end consolidated financial statement audit, tax return preparation, and regulatory filings.
- With our Assistant Controller, support the management of special projects, general ledger implementation, internal controls, and ad hoc analyses.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Active CPA designation
- 5+ years of professional experience in accounting, including public accounting, with 3+ years of managing a high performing team
- Proven ability to manage and develop the careers of direct reports
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with all levels of an organization and manage relationships with external parties
- Superior problem-solving skills and ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines
You're a problem solver and strategic thinker; you connect all the dots
We find ways of getting it done at charity: water. We don't invest time on why it can't be done. You know how to articulate and roll out solutions, recognizing there are many solutions to the same problem. You find new and effective ways to streamline and create processes to increase efficiency.
You're passionate about accuracy
You double and triple-check your work because you know that accurate data is crucial for an Accounting Department to operate successfully. You pay strong attention to detail, have excellent math, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills.
You get things done
You’re a multitasking machine and you don’t have a problem getting your hands dirty. You follow through on every task, no matter how big or small, and when duty calls you take matters into your own hands. You live for hitting deadlines and understand the importance of keeping on schedule and in budget. You take initiative on projects from the start and know how to bring people together and get things done.
You stay on top of it all
You have excellent communication skills, both while speaking and in writing. You have professional candor and you're great at resolving problems quickly and effectively.
This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the NYC area only.