The Finance and Business Operations team lies at the intersection of revenue and program functions to ensure the health of the business and provide critical insights with a holistic lens. We enable teams to optimize their performance while fulfilling our ultimate mission of providing clean water.
This role will report to the Finance and Operations Senior Manager and partner closely with the Director of Finance and Business Operations.
The Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) Associate will support finance leadership on budgeting, forecasting, analyzing, and presenting the financial performance of the business in order to enable senior management to make data-driven and strategic decisions. At an organizational level, you’ll conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis on overall financial performance to evaluate progress towards our goals. You will also provide financial planning and cash flow management for the organization. At the product level, you’ll act as a partner to revenue stakeholders by analyzing business trends, reviewing performance and P&L, and anticipating potential risks to growth. You will be a key advisor in a constantly evolving business to identify opportunities and solve implementation challenges. With your exceptional quantitative skills, analytical rigor, and strategic thinking you’ll provide insights to drive our business forward.
- Help drive the annual budgeting and monthly forecasting process
- Perform regular financial analyses that evaluate charity: water’s financial activities
- Prepare monthly financial results against budget and forecasts, assist in preparing quarterly presentations for our Board of Directors and Finance Committee
- Translate financial results into a narrative that enables senior management to make major operational, financial, and strategic decisions
- Support the Director of Business Operations in the production of ad hoc presentations for internal and external stakeholders
- Build and maintain financial databases by organizing and compiling a wide range of data sources
- Create and update financial models that detail the organization’s operations and future performance
- Provide insightful analysis and commentary on budget, forecast, and outlook variances
- Develop and enhance reports and analytical models that assist in forecasting working capital and cash flow
- Spearhead cost management and budgeting, setting targets for different teams and projects by proactively managing target achievements
- Bachelor’s degree with a record of high academic achievement
- 2-4 years of proven analytical and quantitative experience, preferably at a top-tier investment bank, management consultancy, or technology company
- Elite Excel and Powerpoint skills - you were formally trained (e.g., Training the Street, banking program, etc.)
- Background in finance with an established understanding of financial concepts
- Rigorously detail-oriented, always triple-checks work, and produces exceptional deliverables
- Demonstrated success in team collaboration and works well cross-functionally
- Ability to independently own and drive multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- Quick learner who fully embraces working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Inquisitive and critical thinker who will challenge the numbers to understand the story behind them
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, and presentation skills and an eagerness to further develop these skills
- Love for data-driven decision making
You’re passionate about accuracy
You double and triple-check your work because you know that accurate data is crucial to operate successfully. You pay strong attention to detail, have excellent grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills. You care about the numbers being right and take the time to make sure everything reconciles or is set up to be error-proof.
You’re a problem solver
We find ways of getting things done at charity: water. We don’t invest time on why it can’t be done. You know how to articulate and roll out solutions, recognizing there are many solutions to the same problem. You find new and effective ways to streamline and create processes to increase efficiency.
You’re so organized, it’s embarrassing
When something doesn’t have a place, you make one for it and teach others to keep it that way. You can handle and prioritize multiple projects of various origins at once. You can turn any meeting or email thread into actionable items for multiple people.
You get things done
You’re a multitasking machine. You follow through on every request, no matter how big or small. You keep your cool under pressure and know how to prioritize your responsibilities. And when you need help, you’re not afraid to ask.
You’re trustworthy and professional
You’ve proven you’re equipped to handle and maintain confidential information. You’re set on learning all the ins and outs of the org so that you can handle any question that comes your way.
You’re a team player
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment, with people who are passionate about their work. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and enjoy bringing people together to achieve a goal. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the NYC area only.