As a Software Engineer at charity: water, you'll code for a cause, developing software that is designed to improve our donor experience and our internal systems & processes. You will work with the engineering and product teams to own and solve problems end-to-end while building maintainable solutions based on the product roadmap.
Our Engineering team is small but mighty, a team of problem-solvers committed to collaborating well and delivering the highest quality code. Our base tech stack is Rails, React and Postgres.
- You'll brainstorm with engineers, product managers and designers on your team to conceptualize and build new features for our portfolio of products, which include:
- charity: water’s online donation and fundraising platform, including marketing initiatives and user reporting.
- systems that enable our water programs teams to manage projects from the grant phase through physical implementation.
- systems that enable our key relationships team to access all donor information synchronized in an easy to manage CRM.
- You'll write test-driven code and collaborate with engineers to ensure the smooth operation of all our systems via maintenance and regular assessment of tech debt.
- You'll contribute towards technical team discussions and help drive technical decisions with your team.
- You'll mentor other engineers through detailed code reviews.
- You'll improve tooling, documentation, and processes within the engineering team.
- A minimum of two years developing full-stack web applications in a fast paced environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience.
- Proficiency developing in web frameworks. Ruby on Rails is a huge plus.
- Knowledge in relational databases and caching strategies.
- Agile approach to software development and maintenance cycles.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
You possess strong computer science fundamentals.
You know which tools and data structures to use to deliver simple, yet high-performing solutions. You enjoy turning ideas into working code and are passionate about building scalable and reliable products with a fulfilling user experience.
You’re curious and collaborative.
You learn from and contribute to your team through means of code reviews, technical team discussions, and pairing.
You are committed to quality.
You understand the value of testable and maintainable code and strive to follow best practices to improve the quality of the codebase.
You're an excellent communicator.
You can clearly convey how your solutions will work to address the issues the team faces. You can patiently explain complex concepts or code to a technical or non-technical audience.
This opportunity is remote (USA only) or onsite (New York City).