The Director of Development will lead major donor giving for charity: water. This leader will be responsible for raising and growing major donor revenue for both water projects and operations funding in support of our unique 100% model. In 2018, major donor revenue exceeded $30M. This leader will support the steady growth of major donor revenue, with a focus on operations funding. In partnership with the Founder-CEO and COO, the Director of Development will design and implement a sustainable development strategy to increase philanthropic revenue from a diverse portfolio of high net worth supporters across the United States. The Director of Development will mentor and lead a team of fundraisers to achieve ambitious revenue and renewal goals year over year, while delivering excellent stewardship experiences for our supporters. The ideal candidate will have well-honed skills, a positive attitude, and possess the ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced and entrepreneurial organization as part of a collaborative, cross-matrixed and committed team.
- Develop and deliver a clearly defined major donor fundraising strategy, including short and long-term measurable key performance indicators and growth goals for each member of the team, and yourself
- Grow and lead the fundraising team, employing a coaching mentality to support team members’ goal attainment and ongoing professional development
- Personally manage and grow a diverse portfolio of major donors (including individuals, family foundations, and faith partners) for both Water Projects and Operations
- Lead the creation of annual revenue pipeline, working closely with major gifts team to create a cohesive and integrated plan that includes a robust plan in strategic markets
- Work with the major gifts team and event manager to plan and execute cultivation and stewardship events for major donors throughout the year
- Support the development and execution of the major donor fundraising strategy for the annual gala, charity: ball
- Support the creation and major gift strategy for new fundraising initiatives
- In collaboration with the Marketing & Creative teams, develop creative and impactful content and reporting that connects major donors with our work and their impact, to increase renewal rates and gift size
- In partnership with Senior Revenue Operations Manager, drive fundraising best practices, including systems utilization, prospecting, donor reporting, analytics, and donor communications.
- 8+ years of successful nonprofit fundraising experience with a focus on major gifts
- 5+ years experience growing and leading teams
- A proven record of securing donations from a diverse mix of individual donors and foundations
- Demonstrated experience raising $10 million + annually
- Experience in building and managing a development department and mentoring development staff and/or regional fundraisers toward increasing levels of success
- Consistent track record of creating and executing effective fundraising strategies for diverse revenue streams
- Success in soliciting and closing 6 and 7-figure gifts from individuals
- Demonstrated ability for handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to drive innovation, change and growth, and be a detail-oriented implementer who can mobilize small teams to translate strategy into results
- Superb relationship management, interpersonal, and communication (written and oral) skills, including the ability to inspire and hold accountable diverse internal and external stakeholders (including funders, peers, direct manager and reports, board members and supporters)
- Strong understanding of technology and information systems pertinent to the role (Salesforce a plus)
- Strong understanding of major donor fundraising best practices
- Strong understanding of international development concepts
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in relevant field of study preferred
- Ability to participate in evening and weekend events
- Ability to travel at least 25% of the time (domestically and internationally)
You’re a strategic thinker
You have the strategic prowess and social intelligence required to help build scalable models that leverage charity: water’s brand, assets, relationships and opportunities to meet aggressive growth goals.
You have a team ethos and love working with people
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment, with people who are passionate about their work and mission. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and enjoy bringing people together to achieve a goal. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
You’re a leader
You are skilled at accomplishing things and getting them done. You can run multiple work streams. You can provide leadership to peers and partners.
You see something that can be improved, and you don’t wait to fix it. You have a strong desire to make charity: water a world-class nonprofit.
This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the NYC area only.