Main Areas of Focus: Operational Efficiency, Business Strategy, Cash Flow Management, Forecasting and Planning
Location: This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the New York City area only. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
You’ll steward the financial and operational health of our organization by ensuring our business operations are efficient and accurate.
As the Finance & Operations Manager you will drive strategic, operational, and organizational sustainability across charity: water as a part of the Finance & Business Operations team. You’ll report to and partner with the Director of Business Operations to steward the health of charity: water’s financial business through creating financial and operational models, systems, processes, and documentation to enable best business practices across the organization. You’ll work to optimize operations around the fundraising and deployment of funds, including but not limited to, tracking promises and nuances of cash, revenue, and expenses. You’ll work cross-functionally with revenue stakeholders, Financial Planning & Analysis, Revenue Operations, Accounting, Program Operations, and Program Finance to ensure funds are being appropriately monitored, tracked, and reported upon to fulfill charity: water’s promise and ensure transparency and accuracy.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Managing raise & deploy operations by working closely with the Revenue, Programs, and Financial Planning & Analysis teams to monitor fundraising and deploy needs.
- Supervising our allocation of funds to donor promises and water projects twice a year, ensuring timely and accurate completion.
- Monitoring organizational cash flow, including escalating cash risks as they are identified to the appropriate channels.
- Managing and forecasting the operational raise and expense needs.
- Owning all relevant compliance tasks in order to protect charity: water from any financial risks including creating and documenting compliance processes.
- Maintaining and updating the Finance Policy Library with the most up-to-date business rules and procedures to ensure consistency across the organization, and a Finance Archives Database of historical figures, reports, and models.
- Cross-departmentally assisting various logistical and modeling needs on special projects as required.
- Developing performance dashboards that track key metrics to assist the Executive team in driving and managing the business.
- Identifying key issues in organizational systems and collaborate cross-departmentally to resolve the building of internal tools, systems, business rules, and data infrastructure where necessary.
- Assisting the Director of Business Operations and CFO on one-off special projects.
YOU MUST HAVE…
- A bachelor’s degree in Business or a related field
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in management consulting, financial services, or business operations
- Proven ability to drive strategic initiatives or company-wide projects through proven success with cross-departmental collaboration both verbally and written
- Elite Excel and Powerpoint expertise from formal training (e.g., Training the Street, banking program, etc.)
- Ability to think strategically and comprehend and verbalize the wider implications of operational changes for the organization
- Mastery deciphering and presenting large amounts of data in a clear, concise, and easily digestible formats
- A rigorously detail-oriented approach, always triple-checking work, and produces exceptional deliverables
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- An MBA
- A background working with an early-stage tech or startup-style company
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You’re passionate about accuracy
You double and triple-check your work because you know that accurate data is crucial to operate successfully. You pay strong attention to detail, have excellent grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills. You care about the numbers being right and take the time to make sure everything reconciles or is set up to be error-proof.
You’re a problem solver
We find ways of getting things done at charity: water. We don’t invest time on why it can’t be done. You know how to articulate and roll out solutions, recognizing there are many solutions to the same problem. You find new and effective ways to streamline and create processes to increase efficiency.
You’re so organized, it’s embarrassing
When something doesn’t have a place, you make one for it and teach others to keep it that way. You can handle and prioritize multiple projects of various origins at once. You can turn any meeting or email thread into actionable items for multiple people.
You get things done
You’re a multitasking machine. You follow through on every request, no matter how big or small. You keep your cool under pressure and know how to prioritize your responsibilities. And when you need help, you’re not afraid to ask.
You have integrity and professionalism
You’ve proven you’re equipped to handle and maintain confidential information. You’re set on learning all the ins and outs of the org so that you can handle any question that comes your way.
You’re a team player
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment, with people who are passionate about their work. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and enjoy bringing people together to achieve a goal. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
The Finance and Business Operations team lies at the intersection of revenue and program functions to ensure the health of the business and provide critical insights with a holistic lens. We enable teams to optimize their performance while fulfilling our ultimate mission of providing clean water.
At charity: water, our team of world chargers believe that water changes everything. As a non-profit organization, we work to bring sustainable solutions, providing clean and safe drinking water, to those in developing countries. In 13 years, we’ve been able to bring healthier living conditions to over 11 million people in 28 countries. With the inner makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation and contagious passion. When we’re not eating pizza, gathering for Bagel Breakfasts, or Friendsgiving Feasts, we’re working side-by-side to create beautifully crafted stories and a powerful brand that inspires a whole new kind of generosity.