As the VP of Engineering, you’ll play a key role in ensuring the execution and performance of our short and long-term technical strategies. Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, you’ll oversee the productivity of our entire engineering function. As the VP of Engineering, you’ll ensure the procurement of the correct resources that will allow the team to remain motivated and on track. You’ll be knowledgeable on and advocate for technology that drives scalable infrastructure. Partnering cross-departmentally to continue the creation and evolution of our innovative products will be one of your top priorities. You’ll drive growth for the team, creating and communicating department standards, while serving as a mentor and leader ensuring continued excellence and innovation with each new project and product output.
- Oversee recruiting, mentorship, and development of the existing engineering team
- Chart a path for scaling growth of the team in line with technical and product strategies
- Drive timely, high-quality execution of team deliverables
- Promote engineering standards and best practices
- Manage the annual engineering budget
- Partner with the CPO to align long term technical strategy with product strategy
- Lead the selection of technology choices
- Develop a technical roadmap that ensures continued application excellence and allows for innovation
- 10+ years experience including 5+ managing and growing engineering teams
- Experience in an agile development environment, Pivotal Tracker experience a plus
- Experience scaling applications and familiarity with Cloud-based platforms
- Extensive experience leading and managing engineers who work on an MVC framework (Ruby on Rails is a plus), design databases, and implement test-driven development
- Experience recruiting and building diverse engineering teams
You are a mentor and a leader
You enjoy managing and training team members and understand the complexities of how to maximize unique skills and strengths. You are skilled at accomplishing things through other people while helping them to grow. You can run multiple work streams that extend far beyond your immediate team. You can provide leadership for peers, subordinates, and partners.
You see the bigger picture
You're able to break a large project into bite-size pieces while always keeping your eye on the big goal. You’re always thinking two steps ahead and can see how complex initiatives connect together for maximum impact.
You can find the root cause of problems and communicate the solution
You enjoy not just addressing the immediate issue, but tracking down and resolving the underlying source of the problem. You can articulate issues to team members and clearly convey how your solutions will work to address the issues we face.
You have a team ethos and you love working with people
You're excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and you’re skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with all types of people. You find joy in mentoring and managing team members.
You take initiative
You see something that needs improvement and you take action. You propose solutions to problems and research subjects that will help you do your job better. You’re proactive about making sure various departments have the information they need about your projects.
This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the NYC area only.