Main Areas of Focus: Infrastructure implementation, engineering, complex team development, product design
Location: This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the New York City area only. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
You’ll guarantee the exceptional performance and growth of our technical strategies and engineering team.
As the VP of Engineering, you’ll play a key role in ensuring the execution and performance of our short and long-term technical strategies. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you’ll oversee the productivity of our entire engineering function. As the VP of Engineering, you’ll ensure the procurement of the correct resources that will allow the team to remain motivated and on track. You’ll be knowledgeable on and advocate for technology that drives scalable infrastructure. Partnering cross-departmentally to continue the creation and evolution of our innovative products will be one of your top priorities. You’ll drive growth for the team creating and communicating department standards. You’ll serve as a mentor and leader ensuring continued excellence and innovation with each new project and product output.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Overseeing recruiting, mentorship, and development of the existing and extremely dedicated engineering team.
- Being a technical expert in software development ensuring the team is creating, maintaining, and innovating upon excellent code.
- Developing a technical roadmap the ensures continued application excellence and allows for innovation.
- Charting a path for scaling growth of the team and ensuring that it is continuously in line with technical and product strategies.
- Driving the timely, high-quality, and meaningful execution of engineering team deliverables.
- Promoting the engineering standards and best practices that align seamlessly with our values and goals as an organization.
- Managing the annual engineering budget ensuring the appropriate resources are acquired.
- Partnering with the Executive team to align long term technical strategies with the overall product strategy and organizational goals.
- Leading the thoughtful selection of technology choices considering the strengths of your team.
- Prioritizing the workflow and importance of backlog request.
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 10+ years experience including 5+ managing and growing engineering teams
- Experience in an agile development environment
- Experience scaling applications and familiarity with Cloud-based platforms
- Extensive experience leading and managing engineers who work on an MVC framework, design databases, and implement test-driven development
- Experience recruiting and building successful diverse engineering teams
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Experience in the start-up space. We’re a non-profit structured and run like a tech start-up.
- Experience with Pivotal Tracker, Klipfolio, Looker
- Excellent communication and a passionate leadership style with experience guiding a 9+ person team
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You are a mentor and a leader
You enjoy managing and training team members and understand the complexities of how to maximize unique skills and strengths. You are skilled at accomplishing things through other people while helping them to grow. You can run multiple work streams that extend far beyond your immediate team. You can provide leadership for peers, subordinates, and partners.
You see the bigger picture
You're able to break a large project into bite-size pieces while always keeping your eye on the big goal. You’re always thinking two steps ahead and can see how complex initiatives connect together for maximum impact.
You can find the root cause of problems and communicate the solution
You enjoy not just addressing the immediate issue, but tracking down and resolving the underlying source of the problem. You can articulate issues to team members and clearly convey how your solutions will work to address the issues we face.
You have a team ethos and you love working with people
You're excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and you’re skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with all types of people. You find joy in mentoring and managing team members.
You take initiative
You see something that needs improvement and you take action. You propose solutions to problems and research subjects that will help you do your job better. You’re proactive about making sure various departments have the information they need about your projects.
The Engineering team is small but mighty, a team of problem-solvers committed to collaborating well and delivering the highest quality code. They are crucial to the success of our fundraising platforms and the heartbeat behind the software that makes our work possible. Using our base tech stack Rails, React, and Postgres, they enable us to spread generosity to end the world water crisis.
At charity: water, our team of world chargers believe that water changes everything. As a non-profit organization, we work to bring sustainable solutions, providing clean and safe drinking water, to those in developing countries. In 13 years, we’ve been able to bring healthier living conditions to over 10 million people in 28 countries. With the inner makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation and contagious passion. When we’re not eating pizza, gathering for Bagel Breakfasts, or Friendsgiving Feasts, we’re working side-by-side to create beautifully crafted stories and a powerful brand that inspires a whole new kind of generosity.