Main areas of focus: Fundraising expertise, strategy management, dynamic team management, relationship building
Location: This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the New York City area only. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
You'll lead our major donor fundraising strategy as a dynamic thinker, communicator, connector, and manager.
The Director of Development will lead major donor giving for charity: water. You’ll be responsible for raising and growing major donor revenue for both water projects and operations funding in support of our unique 100% model. In 2018, major donor revenue exceeded $30M. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you’ll support the steady growth of major donor revenue, with a focus on operations funding. In partnership with the Founder-CEO and COO, as the Director of Development, you’ll design and implement a sustainable development strategy to increase philanthropic revenue from a diverse portfolio of high net worth supporters across the United States. The Director of Development will mentor and lead a team of fundraisers to achieve ambitious revenue and renewal goals year over year while delivering excellent stewardship experiences for our supporters. You’ll have well-honed skills, a positive attitude, and possess the ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial organization as part of a collaborative, cross-matrixed, and committed team.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Developing and delivering a clearly defined major donor fundraising strategy, including short and long-term measurable key performance indicators and growth goals for each member of the team, and yourself
- Growing and leading the fundraising team, employing a coaching mentality to support team members’ goal attainment and ongoing professional development
- Personally managing and growing a diverse portfolio of major donors (including individuals, family foundations, and faith partners) for both Water Projects and Operations
- Partnering with Revenue Operations on the creation of the annual revenue pipeline, working closely with major gifts team to create a cohesive and integrated plan that includes a robust plan in strategic markets
- Working with the major gifts team, Senior Experience Manager, and Event Manager to plan and execute cultivation and stewardship events for major donors throughout the year
- Supporting the development and execution of the major donor fundraising strategy for the annual gala, charity: ball
- Supporting the creation and major gift strategy for new fundraising initiatives
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Creative teams, developing creative and impactful content and reporting that connects major donors with our work and their impact, to increase renewal rates and gift size
- In partnership with the Head of Revenue Operations, driving fundraising best practices, including systems utilization, prospecting, donor reporting, analytics, and donor communications
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 8+ years of successful nonprofit fundraising experience with a focus on major gifts
- 5+ years experience and record of proof growing and leading successful teams
- A proven record of securing donations from a diverse mix of individual donors and foundations
- A demonstrated experience raising $10 million + annually
- Experience in building and managing a development department and mentoring development staff and/or regional fundraisers toward increasing levels of success
- A consistent track record of creating and executing effective fundraising strategies for diverse revenue streams
- Shown success in soliciting and closing 6 and 7-figure gifts from individuals
- A demonstrated ability for handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to drive innovation, change, and growth, and be a detail-oriented implementer who can mobilize small teams to translate strategy into results
- Superb relationship management, interpersonal, and communication (written and oral) skills
- The ability to inspire and hold accountable diverse internal and external stakeholders (including funders, peers, direct manager and reports, board members, and supporters)
- A strong understanding of technology and information systems pertinent to the role
- A strong understanding of major donor fundraising best practices
- A strong understanding of international development concepts
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study
- Ability to participate in evening and weekend events
- Ability to travel at least 25% of the time (domestically and internationally)
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- A master’s degree in a relevant field of study preferred
- Experience with Salesforce
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You’re a strategic thinker
You have the strategic prowess and social intelligence required to help build scalable models that leverage charity: water’s brand, assets, relationships and opportunities to meet aggressive growth goals.
You have a team ethos and love working with people
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment, with people who are passionate about their work and mission. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and enjoy bringing people together to achieve a goal. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
You’re a leader
You are skilled at accomplishing things and getting them done. You can run multiple workstreams. You can provide leadership to peers and partners.
You see something that can be improved, and you don’t wait to fix it. You have a strong desire to make charity: water a world-class nonprofit.
You stay on top of it all
You operate with poise, dignity, and reliability in both your personal and professional worlds.
The Key Relationships team works to engage and steward donors who either sponsor an entire water project or join the group of individuals who cover our operational cost as members of The Well. This charismatic group of individuals spread our mission and are often the faces of our organization. They work directly with our supporters to cultivate lasting and meaningful relationships.
At charity: water, our team of world chargers believe that water changes everything. As a non-profit organization, we work to bring sustainable solutions, providing clean and safe drinking water, to those in developing countries. In 13 years, we’ve been able to bring healthier living conditions to over 10 million people in 28 countries. With the inner makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation and contagious passion. When we’re not eating pizza, gathering for Bagel Breakfasts, or Friendsgiving Feasts, we’re working side-by-side to create beautifully crafted stories and a powerful brand that inspires a whole new kind of generosity.