Main areas of focus: Brand consistency, storytelling expertise, marketing, creative editing ability, inspiring copy
Location: This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the New York City area only. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
You’ll craft compelling and thoughtful copy to bring our mission to life for a variety of audiences and channels.
As a Senior Copywriter, you’ll write authentic, persuasive, and inspiring content for external and internal communications. You’ll craft compelling copy for our website, monthly giving community (The Spring), marketing campaigns, and much more. You’ll help mentor and lead an eager and creative copywriting team to share our story on a larger scale with excellent consistency. Reporting to the Head of Creative, you will make sure our communications are both on-brand and effective, bringing the charity: water mission and impact to life through your words.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Working with our Head of Creative to develop new and innovative brand concepts for major campaigns and initiatives.
- Partnering with the Marketing team to understand performance insights across channels and optimizing to meet marketing/growth goals.
- Using insights about charity: water audiences to determine what types of stories we tell, where, and when (both online and by department).
- Being a mentor to and advocate for the Copywriting Team, representing and promoting their ideas, dependencies, professional development, and growth paths.
- Ideating, planning, and writing content for large fundraising, awareness campaigns, and brand heat moments throughout the year.
- Working cross-functionally with teams across the organization to create compelling copy and stories for print, web, social, and video.
- Becoming an expert in the charity: water voice and tone.
- Continuing to evolve the charity: water brand voice, specifically building a brand vernacular for our monthly giving community.
- Establishing a writing style guide for the organization, and teach the charity: water voice to the wider charity: water team.
- Writing marketing copy that is short, sharp, and to the point.
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 5+ years of professional copywriting experience
- Diverse portfolio of copy examples including the web, print, advertising, email, and social
- Ability to adapt copy tone of voice to align with various audiences
- Incredible attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Experience writing and evaluating the performance of marketing copy
- A sense of humor
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Experience at a nonprofit and/or a tech-startup
- Experience and interest in managing and developing a team of copywriters and editors
- Experience in an agency or client-based work environment
- A passion for the charity: water mission and familiarity with our work
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You're an awesome writer; an even better editor
You can self-edit your work and take unnecessary words away until it hurts.
You're a sophisticated storyteller
You have an innate social intelligence that allows you to relate to all types of people - your greatest pride is your ability to connect with others and evoke action through your writing.
You’re a leader and a team player
You thrive in a creative, genuine, fast-paced start-up environment, with people who are passionate about their work. You're excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and enjoy bringing people’s vision to life. You care more about the end result than about personal recognition.
You care about the little things
You're always watching for typos, and this sentence almost killed you.
You can express your opinion confidently
You’re not scared to speak up when you disagree, or when you think something needs improvement, and you do it with confidence and respect for others.
You're a self-starter
You don’t wait for permission to go and do something. You see something broken, and you fix it. You have a great idea, and you make it happen.
The Creative team is a deeply passionate group of designers, videographers, editors, social media strategists, and storytellers. They’re responsible for gathering inspiring content and crafting one-of-a-kind stories from the countries we serve. They help our amazing community of supporters be more aware of the global water crisis and compel them to take action and join our mission.
At charity: water, our team of world chargers believe that water changes everything. As a non-profit organization, we work to bring sustainable solutions, providing clean and safe drinking water, to those in developing countries. In 13 years, we’ve been able to bring healthier living conditions to over 10 million people in 28 countries. With the inner makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation and contagious passion. When we’re not eating pizza, gathering for Bagel Breakfasts, or Friendsgiving Feasts, we’re working side-by-side to create beautifully crafted stories and a powerful brand that inspires a whole new kind of generosity.