SCOPE & GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
- Work with the team on enterprise level applications and services to continually improve the learning experience for IT professionals.
- Create and maintain applications and frameworks that support the team’s products as well as maintain and improve overall system architecture in addition to implementing new features.
- Design and develop innovative software tools, applications, and services that are mission critical to the success of CBT Nuggets initiatives.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS:
- Strongly support CBT Nuggets core values and tenets (https://www.cbtnuggets.com/story)
- Respect for people and their time.
- Friendly, direct communication.
- Passion for what we do.
- Emphasis on continual improvement.
- Ensure rapid development time for new features and products as well as provide support for those features and products.
- Ensure our customers’ best interest is kept at the forefront of all decisions.
- This is a learning company; you will be expected to learn new things on the job and continuously improve your skills.
- Excel in a collaborative team environment.
- Write enterprise level applications and services.
- Work closely in a tightly-knit, cross-functional team.
- Review pre-existing code and provide recommendations to improve performance and maintainability.
- Add/modify code, perform enhancements that integrate with existing code, and implement new features.
- Create inline and supplementary documentation for existing and new code.
- Rapidly fix bugs and solve problems.
- Mentor and provide guidance to other team members.
- Proactively look for ways to make CBT Nuggets better.
- Minimum of 5 years experience developing enterprise level applications.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where things change quickly.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical concepts and designs to non-developers.
- Ability to maintain a disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
- Experience with RESTful technologies.
- Experience leveraging open source projects.
- Familiarity with Agile frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Proficiency with Git version control.
- Proficiency with event-driven architectures and design patterns.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Attitude required:
- Be honest and value integrity.
- Treat all co-workers with respect.
- Understand and appreciate the value of teamwork.
- Care about the mission of CBT Nuggets.
- Be passionate about our learners’ success.
- Be comfortable with autonomy and be a self-starter.
- Be eager to learn and grow in your professional life.
- Have a passion for programming.
Skills that are required:
- Proficiency with MongoDB and SQL.
- Proficiency with Test Driven Development.
- Proficiency with Git revision control.
- Experience writing web services.
- Experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS Lambda, S3, Kinesis, etc).
- Experience in object-oriented programming and service-oriented architecture.
- Detailed understanding of web technologies, including web services and web application servers.
Skills that are preferred but not required:
- Ability to develop applications that are cross-browser compatible.
- Familiarity with Jira and Confluence.
- Familiarity with AWS Kinesis, Kafka, or other stream processing technology.
- Experience with Data Pipelines and/or ETL systems.
- Experience with LMS (Learning Management Systems).
- Experience with Docker, Nginx, and Nginx configuration.
- Experience working on various different MVC frameworks.
- Experience with HTML and CSS, as well as compiled CSS (LESS, SASS, etc.).
- Knowledge and understanding of Redux.
- Proficiency with monitoring systems such as Grafana, Kibana, AWS Cloudwatch, or ElasticSearch.
- Understanding of common development tools such as Babel, Webpack, and Yarn.
CBT NUGGETS MISSION
...to continually improve learning effectiveness.
CBT NUGGETS FAVORITE QUOTES
“It’s amazing what you can accomplish when you don’t care who gets the credit.”
“Be honest, direct, and real.”
“What would you do if you weren’t afraid?”
“Life should be better tomorrow than it is today.”
- What you say doesn’t matter nearly as much as what you do. Prove to us that you have passion, attention to detail, a good work ethic, and are an independent thinker through your preparation for the interview. Imagine yourself as already having the job and focus on telling us how you will help CBT Nuggets accomplish its mission with your help.
- Sign up for the free trial and learn about the CBT Nuggets offering. Every teammate at CBT Nuggets has to understand our customer and our product. Prepare as if you’re already on the team.
- Don’t be nervous, there’s no reason to be. If you feel nervous, channel that energy into a better use.
- Smile, and enjoy the process.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- This position is a full-time (40 hours per week) salaried position
- Compensation is dependent on experience and skill level
- Generous employee benefits
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without written notice.
If you understand the value of hard work and you’re passionate about both the mission of CBT Nuggets and your role in it, then CBT Nuggets will be a very rewarding career opportunity for you.
CBT Nuggets provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CBT Nuggets complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
CBT Nuggets expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CBT Nuggets’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
CBT Nuggets actively maintains and regularly updates its Affirmative Action Program.