CARTO leads the world of Location Intelligence (LI), empowering organizations to discover insights hidden in their location data and turn them into business impact. We use LI to accelerate innovation, find efficiencies and disrupt traditional business models. We are the leading geospatial platform where you can solve spatial problems with the best data and analysis.
CARTO is working today with top enterprise companies to improve their efficiency through data analysis. Customers like DPD, EDP, Mastercard, Telefónica, and Vodafone (among others) trust CARTO and use our software to understand where and why things happen, optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes. We empower data scientists worldwide by helping them to create their advanced spatial models.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is transforming the Location Intelligence space. Our incredible team works from offices in New York, Madrid, Washington DC, and beyond.
We are currently looking for a highly-organized, growth-focused, and people-driven Director of Engineering. In this role you will focus on leading a team of 25 highly-qualified engineers as part of the engineering leadership team, and work closely with the CTO to set goals and plan projects in order to accomplish CARTO’s software product goals. You will report directly to the CTO.
This position is based in our Sevilla
offices, but you can also work remotely from any point of Spain, as long as you can travel to one of our offices regularly.
What does a Director of Engineering do at CARTO?
People are our greatest asset at CARTO, which means that your role is crucial to being successful as a team. You will be responsible for building, managing, and mentoring a team of 25 excellent and highly-qualified engineers distributed across Spain. Don’t panic, you won’t guide them alone—you will collaborate with Technical Leads in charge of the Backend, Core, Frontend and Infrastructure teams. Your mission is to lead and grow an amazing engineering team focused on building the best geospatial platform in the world.
Every six weeks we start a new cycle of product work. You and our product team are responsible for the prioritization of the projects to make sure everyone is aligned, and understand what the company is focused on and will do next. You participate in defining the strategy and roadmap for technical solutions. You work side-by-side with the product team and the CTO to understand how our engineering team can impact the industry by providing the best innovative solutions in the market. You are also responsible for budgeting the projects, with the help of our Technical Leads.
During the product cycle it will be your responsibility to follow up on running projects to guarantee their success, as well as to ensure early detection/fixing of any issues. Bonus points for applicants with Scrum Master profiles, as one of our goals is to improve Scrum habits across the team.
About our main projects
As the Director of Engineering you will play an important role in achieving our objective of making CARTO the best geospatial tool for data analysis.
Below you may review the list of the current projects you will work on:
- CARTO Frames: Our Python package for integrating CARTO maps, analysis, and data services into data scientists’ workflows.
- Data Observatory: Our data enrichment platform with +4K datasets coming from huge data sources like Vodafone, Mastercard, and TomTom.
- Analysis Framework: a geospatial analytics platform which enables the running of very flexible workflows on top of a Docker infrastructure.
- Integration and connectivity: we’re making a big effort to make CARTO a better-connected platform. The challenge is connecting CARTO to various databases like Amazon Aurora, Google Cloud Spanner, Azure PostgreSQL, SAP Hanna, and others.
We would be delighted to share more information about our projects during our interviews.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field—or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years experience in leading and building engineering teams while working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Scrum
- Good knowledge of the GIS industry
- Experience working with databases. Up-to-date knowledge of the database offerings of main cloud providers: Google Big Query, Google Cloud Spanner, Amazon Redshift, Azure hyperscale citus, Amazon Aurora, etc.
- Competitive, results-based compensation.
- A great and high-qualified team to work with.
- Challenging projects.
- A powerful platform used by top companies around the world.
- Career growth and the chance to learn and use the latest technologies in real projects.
- Flexible hours.
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks and good coffee.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).