Target Start Date: August 2019
Reports To: EVP of Corporate Operations
Location: San Francisco, CA or New York, NY; SF Preferred
Carbon Lighthouse just passed its 100th team member and is hiring a VP of People Operations to lead our People Ops team. This role will be responsible for overseeing and executing on multiple mission-critical functions including: HR, Talent Acquisition, Compensation & Benefits, Compliance, Company-Wide Administrative Services, and others. For an example of the thoroughness with which we approach each of these areas, please see our How We Hire
document which summarizes our Personnel Selection system and the reasoning behind it.
You will manage and mentor the existing People Ops team of four, as well as continue to grow the team. You will report to the EVP of Corporate Operations, who is responsible for Learning and Development, Business Operations, Finance, and People Operations, and play a vital role in this critical and rapid stage of Carbon Lighthouse’s growth.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are a team that highly value question asking, getting it done, integrity, life & safety, and teamwork. We prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, and support our team members’ professional development. Over the past decade our annual average turnover rate has been under 5%.
- Manage, mentor, and build out teams and improve processes for HR, Talent Acquisition, Compensation & Benefits, Compliance, and Administration.
- Respond to any important Personnel matters with the utmost integrity and thoughtfulness.
- Develop and enforce fair and thoughtful HR policies that look out for the best interests of all team members.
- Thoughtfully solve a wide variety of challenges that fall to the People Operations team to resolve on a day-to-day basis.
- Work with every team in the company to ensure all team members are supported.
- Oversee effective and fair hiring processes across the company as we grow
- Provide strategic vision for what People Operations should do as the company continues to grow, and turn that vision into practical and smooth operations.
- Travel to Carbon Lighthouse office locations at least quarterly to support direct reports and other team members.
- 5+ years of People Operations or HR experience
- 3+ years of managerial experience
- Strong work ethic and desire to work in rapidly-changing, get-it-done environment
- High EQ / interpersonal skills to build trust with teammates from all parts of the company and in remote offices
- Demonstrated Leadership skills: creating and communicating vision, motivating a team to common goals, etc.
- Acts with the utmost integrity at all times
- 2+ years of experience managing or doing talent acquisition
- Experience in a company that scaled from 100 to 500+ team members
- Quantitative and technical skill, ability to understand latest developments in HR technology
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
Carbon Lighthouse is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion, veteran or disability status.
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.