Target Start Date: Ongoing
Reports To: VP | Model Development Group
Location: San Francisco, CA
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for an adaptable, self-motivated, Senior Backend Software Engineer to work and grow with us to envision and build out our software platform and accelerate environmental impact. Along the way, you’ll learn all about energy efficiency, solar, real estate markets, construction, and probably get your hands dirty (or at least dusty) on site visits.
We’re looking for people to both innovate and expand our technology and energy service by creating solutions that enable our internal Engineering users to analyze and quantify energy opportunities. This role is responsible for leading improvements the accuracy, speed, and scope of our technology by building scalable thermodynamic models and creating robust analytical tools for Engineering users that leverage the large datasets Carbon Lighthouse captures to evaluate building energy consumption (e.g. timeseries data, metadata, unstructured data). Senior Software Engineers on the Model Development group directly influence our operations, focusing on improvements like: increasing the depth and breadth of our models, implementing methods that automate analyses, and identifying data requirements. As a member of the Model Development Group, they collaborate heavily with Model Development Data Scientists and Engineers (thermodynamicists) and work closely with our Software Team to develop and deploy production code.
You should have a bachelor’s degree in computer science (or similar), 5+ years of professional development experience, and be excited by complex and open-ended engineering problems. You genuinely enjoy working on collaborative teams, and want to be involved in large scale challenges that require long term effort. While this role involves significant software development work, you will also spend time interacting with Carbon Lighthouse mechanical engineers, project managers, and energy performance engineers to connect our software to our real-world mission.
The role is based at our headquarters in downtown San Francisco, but may require occasional travel to our satellite offices or client sites.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income, and achieve their sustainability goals.
Backed by notable investors, we are a team of 100 that highly values question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development. Every person has both the opportunity and responsibility to make an impact on our growing organization.
- Working closely with our Model Development Engineers and Data Scientists, develop modeling content to quantify the energy, environmental, and financial opportunity in various building energy systems.
- Lead the full product development cycle, including brainstorming, architecting, release planning and estimation, implementing and iterating on code, coordinating with internal and external clients, internal code and design reviews, MVP and production releases, quality assurance, and product support.
- Collaboratively work on simultaneous projects with multiple stakeholders, both on the model development team and company-wide.
- Work in a team environment, expressing ideas and being open to those of others, to effectively drive cross-team solutions that have complex dependencies and requirements.
- Participate in, study, and improve the current Carbon Lighthouse process.
- Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse's environmental mission
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field, or have demonstrated exceptional experience in technology environments
- 5+ years of development experience
- Proven track record of building and deploying production applications using Python, or other comparable technology
Relevant Framework and Tool Experience
Proven experience with the majority of the following:
- Building and deploying production applications using Python, or other comparable technology
- Service-oriented architecture with complex APIs and data models
- Developing applications backed by RDBMS or NoSQL data stores (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB, etc.)
- Unit testing frameworks (e.g. Mocha, Chai, unittest, pytest, etc.)
- Version control systems (e.g. Git, SVN, etc.)
- Test driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment
· Data science background
· Statistics background
· HVAC systems background
· HVAC controls software/hardware background
· Startup experience
Compensation and Benefits:
· Salary + equity
· Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance
· Generous vacation policy
· Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
· Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
Carbon Lighthouse is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.