Target Start Date: July 2019
Reports To: Vice President, Solar and Energy Solutions
Location(s): New York, Los Angeles
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for a motivated and adaptable Applications Engineer to build our growing technical sales team. This role plays a key part in linking potential opportunities developed by the sales team to the analysis and implementation of energy solutions carried out by the engineering team.
We’re looking for people to blend a deep level of technical expertise with client facing communication skills to help us grow our national presence. As an Applications Engineer, you will directly influence conversion rates through the middle and later stages of our sales funnel by ensuring potential sites are highly qualified and the expected outcomes will meet our client's financial targets and building strategy. Additionally, you will engage with all levels of the client organization to communicate the value of the Carbon Lighthouse offering, with a particular emphasis on our technical differentiation and the advantages it brings to real estate assets.
You must possess great curiosity, ask great questions, and think creatively and independently. You will have a strong mechanical aptitude and experience working in buildings, HVAC systems, renewable energy systems, or another relevant engineering background. You genuinely enjoy working on collaborative teams, and want to be involved in large scale projects that require long term effort. You enjoy complex, open-ended, and real-world engineering challenges, and you think beyond existing processes in search of better methods.
Your role will be based in New York City or Los Angeles, and will require traveling locally, regionally, and nationally on a regular basis.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse’s mission is to stop climate change, and we accomplish this by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts.
We are a team that highly value Life & Safety, Question Asking, Getting It Done, Integrity, and Teamwork. We prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development. Our average annual turnover rate has been under 5% for the past decade.
Carbon Lighthouse has doubled revenue and impact every 14 months for the past 9 years, and to date has eliminated the emissions of 8 power plants.
- Perform remote analyses and outreach to client sites to document and qualify the building conditions and ensure product fit.
- Frequent site travel (up to 75%) to client sites, including mechanical and industrial spaces, to assess the feasibility of solar and efficiency solutions.
- Communicate the value proposition and business case of Carbon Lighthouse’s services to all stakeholders within the client’s organization.
- Support simultaneous complex tasks and projects across multiple client sites and accounts.
- Bridge sales potential to engineering reality by applying real world judgement and communicate internally the potential opportunity on any given site or location.
- Cultivate effective relationships with facility engineers, property managers, and other client stakeholders.
- Develop new processes and tools that reduce time, improve accuracy, or increase energy savings in delivered solutions.
- Work in a cross-functional team environment where asking questions and questioning assumptions is necessary due to complex and multi-disciplinary problems.
- Stay current with established safety procedures. Exemplify CL safety culture both internally and externally.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to solicit information from a wide range of stakeholders and personalities.
- Excellent organization, attention to detail, and time management skills.
- Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse’s environmental mission.
- Bachelors in Engineering/Science or 2 year technical school.
- 3+ years work experience in buildings, with knowledge and experience working with commercial HVAC equipment and systems, OR 5+ years work experience in a relevant sales engineering function.
- Ability to review and interpret external documentation to qualify sites for our service, spanning real estate leases, property condition assessments, building management systems, utility rules & regulations, energy supply contracts, and other memos/contracts as relevant.
- Ability to exercise real-world judgement and apply business constraints based on imperfect or missing information, including conflicting or vague qualitative assessments from various stakeholders.
- Excellent question asker and communicator, and enjoys working on teams.
- Demonstrable experience solving complex and real-world problem and desire to work through, iterate, and improve a defined process.
- Ability to travel to local and national sites and client meetings (~5-20 days per month).
- Ability to work in industrial and mechanical spaces, with exposure to heat, noise, heights, and confined spaces.
- Must be able to work in the US, this role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- Experience working with mechanical, electrical, or controls drawings/schematics
- HVAC design, engineering, modeling capabilities
- Technical sales experience
- Commercial real estate experience
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
Carbon Lighthouse is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.