Target Start Date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Reports To: VP of Technology | Building Innovations Group
Location: San Francisco, CA or New York, NY
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for driven and curious Quantitative Research Engineer to join our Building Innovations Group, the team responsible for researching new energy efficiency measures into our projects.
This role will be responsible for the quantitative aspect of evaluating new energy efficiency opportunities, including but not limited to: developing preliminary estimates of energy savings; simulating energy savings based on published research and field trials; identifying the correct combination of field data and assumptions to accurately quantify opportunities in specific buildings; and proposing effective fault detection methodologies to identify if the measure fails after installation. The Quantitative Research Engineer will work closely with the Model Development Group to ensure their models accurately represent energy saving; with the Data Acquisition Group to ensure data collection limitations are understood and taken into account; and with Solutions Engineers (model users) to ensure training in modeling new measures is successful.
The ideal candidate has professional or graduate school experience in data analysis and modeling in the context of physical systems, ideally buildings/HVAC. This person enjoys the early stages of data exploration, as well as developing prototype models, and is comfortable reading code and making basic database queries. This person has the ability to connect the data to our real world applications. They are excited to develop coding and statistics skills and are excited to learn about HVAC and energy in the built environment. They can communicate complex information clearly, genuinely enjoy working on collaborative teams, and want to be involved in large-scale projects that require long-term effort.
The role can be based out of San Francisco or New York City and may require periodic travel to other offices and client sites.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are a team that highly value question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development.
- Use computational abilities and thermodynamic knowledge to develop energy savings calculations for potential energy efficiency measures.
- Analyze complex data to determine the quantitative and statistical relationships of complex building systems
- Collaborate with our Model Development Group and Data Acquisition Group to develop and validate models representing physical building components for integration into CLUES (our proprietary application).
- Solve quantitative or statistics problems that require understanding of a variety of data analysis/data science and engineering principles, and implement the solution in a computational environment.
- Calculate order-of-magnitude savings for preliminary energy efficiency measure assessment
- Conduct sensitivity analyses to determine input data requirements that balance accuracy with timeline and physical limitations.
- Work closely with our Energy Modeling Group users to identify opportunities to improve scope, algorithms, or interface.
- Develop new methodologies and better datasets that increase savings, improve accuracy, reduce timelines, and save user ‘brainspace’.
- Work in a cross-functional team environment where asking questions and challenging assumptions is necessary due to complex and multi-disciplinary problems.
- Explain basis of energy savings to other team members and Model Development Team to ensure everyone is operating from the same knowledge basis.
- Write and maintain technical documentation for interface with other teams and provide technical training to model users in coordination with the Model Development Group.
- Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse’s environmental mission.
- BS in Engineering (CE, ME, EE, PE, ChE, etc), Computer Science, Physics or similar technical field.
- Proven track record of data wrangling with tools such as Excel, Matlab, R, Tableau or similar
- Ability to read and understand code, like Python.
- 3+ years relevant work experience and/or equivalent graduate work.
- Excellent question asker and communicator, and enjoys working on teams.
- Demonstrated experience solving complex and open-ended engineering problems:
- Ability to determine an objective, or multi-dimensional objectives.
- Ability to determine data, knowledge, or methodology gaps.
- Ability to represent reality in a computational environment.
- Ability to create a solution, fail, and iterate.
- Ability to make judgments of risks and assumptions.
- Ability to make logical conclusions, with an understanding of relative strengths and weaknesses.
- Ability to clearly explain complex systems and communicate conclusions.
- Familiarity with HVAC systems.
- Demonstrated experience with programming languages, such as Python.
- Conversant with data science libraries within Python.
- Advanced understanding of statistics.
- Experience using building energy simulation software (e.g. EnergyPlus, eQUEST) or developing similar data analysis tools from scratch.
- Experience with Agile processes, including Scrum
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
Carbon Lighthouse is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.