Target Start Date: March 2019
Reports To: Engineering Manager | Energy Modeling Group
Locations: San Francisco, CA or New York, NY
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for dedicated and inquisitive Engineers to join our Energy Modeling Team. This team is responsible for discovering and quantifying energy opportunities in buildings and the ongoing management of our energy performance in buildings. We’re looking for people to interpret building data and find energy savings while also innovating and scaling our engineering process and technology. Engineers directly influence profit generation and help drive improvements, such as expanding our modeling capabilities, standardizing and automating analysis methods, and identifying new methods and technologies for deeper energy savings. Your initial focus on delivering financially attractive environmental savings to clients will yield further opportunities for growth and specialization as our company expands.
The ideal candidate has professional or graduate school experience in engineering (or technically equivalent) positions and is excited by complex and open-ended engineering problems. This person genuinely enjoys working on collaborative teams and wants to be involved in large-scale endeavors that require long-term effort. This candidate also loves building computational models and connecting these models to the real world.
The role will be based out of San Francisco or New York and requires traveling locally and nationally on a semi-regular basis.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are a team that highly value question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development.
- Analyze thermodynamic and other energy data to determine the quantitative and governing relationships of complex building systems.
- Use and develop CLUES (our proprietary application) to model HVAC, lighting, solar, and other building systems and quantify the financial and environmental opportunity; develop new or better data sets and methodologies where necessary.
- Work with our Data Acquisition Engineers to understand building systems and complete field-based sensor deployment, functional testing, equipment measurements, and other data collection for modeling needs.
- Work with our Project Managers, Sales Team, and Client Service Team to deliver proposals and our ongoing energy performance management to clients.
- Work in a cross-functional team environment where asking questions and challenging assumptions is necessary due to complex and multi-disciplinary problems.
- Apply engineering judgment in assessing risks and uncertainties.
- Communicate with financial and technical clients, and 3rd party vendors.
- Develop new engineering capabilities that reduce time, save brainspace, improve accuracy, and/or increase energy savings in CLUES or other tools.
- Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse’s environmental mission.
- BS in Engineering (CE, ME, EE, PE, ChE, etc) or similar technical field.
- 3+ years’ work experience or equivalent graduate work.
- Proven track record of executing engineering projects, using and/or developing computational models, or similar work.
- Excellent question asker and communicator, and enjoys working on teams.
- Demonstrable experience solving complex and open-ended engineering problems:
o Able to balance multi-dimensional objectives.
o Able to determine data, knowledge, or methodology gaps.
o Able to represent reality in computational environment, or pseudo-code.
o Able to create a solution, fail, and iterate.
o Can make judgments of risks and assumptions.
o Make logical conclusions from data and statistics.
- Ability to travel to local and national sites (~0-3 days per month).
- Ability to work in industrial and mechanical spaces, with exposure to heat, noise, heights, and confined spaces.
- HVAC systems and/or Controls software/hardware background
- Deep understanding of HVAC systems and modeling
- Experience with optimization methods in computational modeling
- Licensed PE in relevant field
- Technical sales of any kind
- Programming experience
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
Carbon Lighthouse is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.