Target Start Date: May 2019
Reports To: Director of Engineering | Data Acquisition Group
Locations: Los Angeles, CA
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for driven and smart Field Engineers to join our Data Acquisition Group, the group responsible for collecting and delivering site information that enables us to provide our clean energy service in buildings.
We’re looking for people to innovate our technology and energy service, and help us grow our national presence. As a Field Engineer you will directly influence how we operate, focusing on improvements like: gathering accurate data more quickly, making field work more efficient and effective, improving feasibility checks, and applying new strategies to maximize energy savings potential. Your initial career path will be primarily field-focused with many growth opportunities for specialization as our company expands.
You will have installation, commissioning/testing, controls, or other field work experience and strong mechanical aptitude, and be excited by complex, open-ended, and real-world engineering challenges. You genuinely enjoy working on collaborative teams, and want to be involved in large scale projects that require long term effort. You enjoy real world field implementation work and project coordination, and you think beyond existing processes in search of better methods.
Your role will be based out of San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York City, and will require traveling locally and nationally on a regular basis.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are a team that highly value question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development.
- Frequent site travel (up to 75%) to mechanical and industrial spaces to assess feasibility of solutions and manage contractors
- Lead and participate in field-based sensor deployment, functional testing, equipment measurements, and other field data collection needs
- Manage gear and sensor inventory, calibration, conditions, and needs
- Work with a variety of Building Automation Systems (BAS/BMS) to assess functionality and limitations, set up and download trends, and identify sequences of operation
- Support simultaneous complex tasks and projects across multiple client sites
- Support Engineers in acquiring data, developing proposals, and implementing solutions
- Apply real world judgment in assessing risks and uncertainties in the field
- Cultivate effective relationships with contractors, facility engineers, and clients
- Develop new field processes and tools that reduce time, improve contractor relationships, or increase energy savings in delivered solutions
- Work in a cross-functional team environment where asking questions and challenging assumptions is necessary due to complex and multi-disciplinary problems
- Stay current with established safety procedures. Exemplify CL safety culture both internally and externally.
- Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse’s environmental mission
- Bachelors in Engineering/Science or 2 year technical school
- 2+ years work experience or applicable lab/prototyping experience
- Demonstrable field work and testing experience, such as: controls & programming, construction, environmental sampling, installation & commissioning, operations & maintenance, or similar
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to work with hands and tools
- Excellent question asker and communicator, and enjoys working on teams
- Excellent organization, attention to detail, and time management skills
- Demonstrable experience solving complex and real-world problems:
- Able to adapt solutions to changing field conditions and constraints
- Able to create a solution, fail, and iterate
- Exercise initiative and make sound decisions with imperfect information
- Ability to travel to local and national sites (~5-20 days per month)
- Ability to work in industrial and mechanical spaces, with exposure to heat, noise, heights, and confined spaces
- Ability to lift 40 pounds, and carry 20 pounds up a ladder
- Must be able to work in the US, this role is not eligible for visa sponsorship
- HVAC systems and/or Controls software/hardware background
- Experience working with mechanical, electrical, or controls drawings/schematics
- Experience with mechanical workspace health and safety practices
- EPA Certification (HVAC) or Apprenticeship experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Technical sales of any kind
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
Carbon Lighthouse is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.