Target Start Date: Ongoing
Reports To: VP of Software
Location: San Francisco, CA
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for an adaptable, self-motivated, full stack Software Engineer to work and grow with us to envision and build out our software platform and accelerate environmental impact. Along the way, you’ll learn all about energy efficiency, solar, real estate markets, construction, and probably get your hands dirty (or at least dusty) on site visits.
We have taken the first step of transforming our data analysis and thermodynamics modeling toolset into a robust software platform, called CLUES®, built on the latest web technologies. Now it’s time to take our platform to the next level and convert it into the tool we use to fulfill our mission and have a global impact. Your role will initially concentrate on streamlining the flow of data from wireless sensors through CLUES, implementing optimization and machine learning to drive the automation of our analytics and modeling process, and looking for ways to scale CLUES to a platform that enables us to stop climate change.
Your immediate career path will concentrate on designing and building out both the frontend and backend of CLUES, with many growth opportunities for specialization and management as our company expands. You should have a bachelor’s degree in computer science (or similar), 1+ years of professional software development experience, and be excited by complex and open-ended engineering problems. You genuinely enjoy working on collaborative teams, and want to be involved in large scale challenges that require long term effort. While this role involves significant software development work, you will also spend time interacting with Carbon Lighthouse mechanical engineers, project managers, and energy performance engineers to connect our software to our real-world mission.
The role is based at our headquarters in downtown San Francisco, but may require occasional travel to our satellite offices or client sites.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
Backed by notable investors, we are a team of 84 that highly values question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development. Every person has both the opportunity and responsibility to make an impact on our growing organization.
- Develop full stack web applications in an Agile environment to increase the speed and efficiency of Carbon Lighthouse process and grow our overall product offering
- Participate in the full product development cycle, including brainstorming, architecting, release planning and estimation, implementing and iterating on code, coordinating with internal and external clients, internal code and design reviews, MVP and production releases, quality assurance, and product support.
- Collaboratively work on simultaneous projects with multiple stakeholders, both on the software team and company-wide
- Work in a team environment, expressing ideas and being open to those of others, to effectively drive cross-team solutions that have complex dependencies and requirements
- Participate in, study, and improve the current Carbon Lighthouse process
- Dedication to Carbon Lighthouse's environmental mission
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field, or have demonstrated exceptional experience in technology environments
- 1+ years of development experience
- Experience building production web applications using Python, or other comparable technology
- Data science background
- HVAC systems background
- HVAC controls software/hardware background
- UX/UI design experience
- Startup experience
- Experience with any of the following:
- Server side web frameworks (e.g. Express, Flask, etc.)
- Developing applications backed by RDBMS or NoSQL data stores (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB, etc.)
- Developing scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant REST services and microservices
- Unit testing frameworks (e.g. Mocha, Chai, unittest, pytest, etc.)
- Version control systems (e.g. Git, SVN, etc.)
- Test driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
Carbon Lighthouse is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.