Target Start Date: August 1
Reports To: VP of Marketing
Location(s): San Francisco, CA preferred, or New York, NY
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for a dynamic Director of Communications to support our rapidly growing Marketing function. In this role, you will oversee three areas of Carbon Lighthouse communications: corporate communications, executive communications, and public relations around our clean energy service offering. You will shape and grow the PR & Corporate Communications function to support the broad awareness of Carbon Lighthouse and build our credibility in the Commercial Real Estate and Technology industries. This includes content strategy and development to be used across all marketing channels, media relations, and social media strategy. You will work in close partnership with the VP of Marketing, EVP of Customer Experience, CEO, and President–along with our Sales, Technology, Engineering and Creative teams–to support business growth through compelling and engaging storytelling.
You should have a keen ability to evaluate the task at hand to ensure it is driving the most value. You have strong project management and client service experience, whether supporting internal clients or an agency’s clients. You will manage external resources and agencies to help Carbon Lighthouse achieve broad and category awareness with key audiences across three industry verticals (Commercial Office, Industrial and Hospitality) and four U.S. regions (Hawaii, Northeast U.S., Southern California, Bay Area). As a senior member of the Carbon Lighthouse Marketing Team, you will contribute to a variety of marketing initiatives, such as digital marketing, content development, referral marketing, and brand positioning. You should have a strong communications background but also know how to adapt to the shifting needs of a fast-growing marketing function. As we continue to grow, you will be afforded many opportunities for career growth.
You will be able to synthesize the most compelling aspects of our business, which spans the technology, commercial real estate and clean energy industries and craft compelling narratives that support a high growth company. You will be familiar with annual PR-campaign approaches that support business goals. Ideally, you will also have a background in technology communications, either within an agency setting, in-house or both.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We have an ambitious mission: stop climate change. We are taking on an immense challenge. But we’re ready for it. Our company is in the midst of hockey-stick growth, and the time is right for us to bring on a passionate and reliable teammate who can take us to the next level of notoriety.
Forty percent of carbon emissions come from the built environment, more than any other sector in the U.S., yet the problem remains under addressed. Our founders - two visionary Harvard physicists - saw the opportunity to develop a market-driven solution to help building owners use less energy. For the last nine years, our brilliant engineers, data scientists and physicists have been hard at work developing a technology platform that has never existed in the market before - a comprehensive and scalable platform that can quickly and accurately model existing building energy use to uncover every opportunity for savings. While we’ve had early success gaining exposure for our company, we need a brilliant team member to tell our technology story to the world. You will have tremendous influence in bringing together all the elements to make it happen.
Perhaps you’re fed up working at an agency executing campaigns for clients you don’t feel passionate about. Or maybe you’re in-house at a company that doesn’t empower you to impact business growth. You have a lot to offer. You can think on your feet. You execute with grace and equanimity. You hold yourself to high standards. If this sounds familiar, we want to meet you.
We are a team that highly values question asking, getting it done, integrity, teamwork, and prioritizes life & safety. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development.
- Develop and lead Carbon Lighthouse’s business and service offering communications strategy
- Define and drive strategic communication goals that will rapidly increase our corporate and product visibility in the U.S. and in priority regions
- Collaborate with Carbon Lighthouse’s PR agencies and serve as day-to-day contact overseeing program and campaign execution
- Develop consistent stream of content in the form of client success stories, contributed content, blog articles, news announcements, etc. to support Marketing’s Digital Team and the Strategic Partnerships Team
- Support media relations, including proactive and reactive pitching, handling incoming media inquiries and staffing media briefings
- Assess the value of incoming and ad hoc opportunities, like awards, industry memberships and presentation opportunities, and recommend whether to invest in them
- Oversee Carbon Lighthouse’s social media channels, including strategy development, program execution and community management by working in partnership with other Carbon Lighthouse internal departments, clients, agencies and the VP of Marketing
- Build Carbon Lighthouse’s reputation through credibility programs, including the ownership of Marketing claims, and pursuing activities such as awards, speaking opportunities and research
- Facilitate internal knowledge-sharing initiatives between Sales, Engineering and Marketing
- Manage Carbon Lighthouse’s Executive presence at industry conferences and events (estimated travel in this role: 10-20%)
- 9+ years of PR agency or in-house communications experience; mix of agency and in-house experience preferable; must have held a leading role in previous organizations
- Passion for clean energy, sustainability or mission-driven organizations
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, presentation and written)
- Proven track record concepting and managing tech B2B public relations/communications programs and campaigns that have a clear connection to business goals
- Experience managing and optimizing external resources, such as PR agencies, freelancers, content producers, consultants, or similar
- Experience on-site staffing of marketing activations, like speaking opportunities, event sponsorships, media tours, interviews, executive presentations, etc.
- Experience managing social media programs or community management for B2B or B2C companies
- Established relationships with technology, business and/or financial media
- Expertise in media relations and high comfort level working with the media for both proactive and reactive issues
- Business literacy and understanding of technology, energy and/or commercial real estate industry news and trends to identify opportunities for proactive storytelling
- Sound judgment in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate resourcefulness and creative thinking skills with a sense of urgency
- Strong business acumen and a good knowledge of current affairs
- Financial literacy and knowledge of core business and financial metrics
- Professional posture and foresight; Proven experience in effectively communicating with top-level executives and outside thought leaders
- Demonstrated ability to present ideas, strategies and results succinctly and persuasively at the senior executive level
- Understanding of communications measurement
- B2C communications
- Customer testimonial PR programs experience
- Established media relationships in real estate vertical
- Experience working in or with high growth companies
- Skills with or knowledge of design programs like Illustrator, Photoshop, SlideShare, Prezi
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
Carbon Lighthouse is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, veteran or disability status.
If you’re excited about our environmental mission and this looks like a fit, you should apply! Please fill out the brief application form and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.