We at Carbine Coffee are a small founding group backed by some of the leading venture firms in the valley with a mission to bring the latest in hardware automation, IoT, and AI to coffee roasting. We’re disrupting the way that coffee is made and distributed to help build the future of a $70 billion US coffee market. Our founders include one of the first designers at Pinterest, a CEO with a previous acquisition in the hardware startup space, and a COO with ten years at a food technology company that generated $100M+ in revenue. We’re looking for people who want to solve interesting problems and build things that have never been built before at the intersection of software, robotics and hardware.
As the Electrical Engineer, you will join our small and dedicated full-time team of five, which currently consists of two co-founders (CEO, CTO) as well as our COO (spent last 10 years at a food technology company with over 20,000 placed machines and $100M+ in revenue), Head of Hardware, and Director of Coffee. We have 3 functional prototypes roasting great coffee on a daily basis and are ready to take the platform to the next level with a “scrappy not crappy” attitude and a belief that we are limited only by the scope of our imagination.
We are currently looking for an experienced, accomplished, and self-motivated Lead Firmware Engineer to join our ever-growing team. The Lead Firmware Engineer will work across a variety of functional groups that are directly involved in design, engineering, product development, and implementation. The ideal candidate is an inventive problem solver who is capable of working through technical challenges and employing pragmatic solutions. We are also seeking someone who is always learning, with a deep interest in technology, who tracks the development of new technologies, especially those of embedded systems.
Our ideal candidate will have intellectual curiosity and engineering rigor, moving fluidly between the needs of rapid prototyping and long-term development for production. An extensive background of embedded systems design will include selection of components, design of multi-threaded firmware projects with hard real-time constraints, prioritized interrupt handlers, and the other basics of embedded system design.
Our ideal candidate is/has:
- Capable of leading the design of the firmware of an embedded system as a major contributor to a multidisciplinary team that includes software, electrical, and mechanical engineers and industrial designers
- A gifted author of testable, readable, maintainable, efficient embedded code in C and C++
- Experience with core aspects of embedded system design: requirements, architecture, parts selection, firmware, bring up, test, QA
- Capable of planning and managing to a schedule
- A strong understanding of how to design real-time embedded operating systems and how to identify, debug and solve real-time control and sensing challenges
- Able to work in a distributed team, with engineers in other fields as well as other firmware engineers
- Capable of designing and implementing a firmware test plan and assisting with design of a system test plan
- Capable of debugging and measuring performance with logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, oscilloscopes, multimeters, and embedded systems debuggers
- Able to lead and participate effectively in design reviews
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels and organizations
- A passion for creating a robust and reliable product
- Able to problem solve and troubleshoot as the need arises
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and in fast paced environments.
- Specialization in industrial control, motor control, embedded systems, IoT, digital design welcome but not required
- 6-8 years of experience implementing and/or designing embedded systems and firmware
- BS or Masters in EE, CS, CSE or related/relevant field
- Experience with ARM Cortex processors preferred but not required
- Experience with the Keil toolchain preferred but not required
- Experience with a range of common networking protocols, chip-to-chip communications and common embedded system peripherals required
What we can offer:
- We are passionate about what we do and hope you are too!
- More (hopefully good) coffee then anyone needs. Be popular amongst friends :)
- Trust in making the right choices around the tools needed to do the job
- Health benefits and meaningful stock options
- On-staff dogs
- Located in newly renovated offices in San Francisco/Mission District