We at Carbine Coffee are a small founding group backed by some of the leading venture firms in the valley with a mission to bring the latest in hardware automation, IoT, and AI to coffee roasting. We’re disrupting the way that coffee is made and distributed to help build the future of a $70 billion US coffee market. Our founders include one of the first designers at Pinterest, a CEO with a previous acquisition in the hardware startup space, and a COO with ten years at a food technology company that generated $100M+ in revenue. We’re looking for people who want to solve interesting problems and build things that have never been built before at the intersection of software, robotics, and hardware.
As the Senior Mechanical Engineer, you’ll join our small and dedicated full-time team of six, which currently consists of two co-founders (CEO, CTO) as well as our COO, Head of Hardware Development, and Director of Coffee. We already have 3 functional prototypes roasting great coffee on a daily basis and are ready to take the platform to the next level with a “scrappy not crappy” attitude and a belief that we are limited only by the scope of our imagination. We’re looking for someone who wants to be part of a founding team who has taken products from ideation to launch and shipped them to market.
If you love building from the ground up, having a lot of ownership, taste-testing coffee on a daily basis, joining at a high equity-upside, and working from a bright and sunny office in the heart of the Mission District of San Francisco, we’d love to speak with you.
What you’ll do:
- Responsibility for our bean handling system, including layout, part design, analysis, testing, and documentation
- System and part design in Solidworks, especially for structure and mechanism design
- Design and testing of automated and manual mechanisms throughout the roaster
- Collaborate with Firmware and Electrical Engineers for motor controls and board layouts
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to ensure safety, usability, and serviceability of the roaster as a whole
- DFM and vendor management as parts are transitioned to production
- 7-10 years of relevant industry experience
- Hands on engineer with a solid design process and experience taking projects from ideation to production
- A strong background with hardware development processes and experience shipping products is a must
- Good CAD discipline to make design collaboration easier (ProE/Creo OK, Solidworks preferred)
- Ability to use top-down (master model) design techniques in CAD
- Multitasker, able to juggle tasks and assume multiple roles in a team
- Self-starter, able to identify next steps and high risk design regions by yourself
- In-depth knowledge of motors, solenoids, bearings, limit switches, encoders, and other automation components
- Familiarity with mechanism, spring, and structural design
- Familiarity with plastic injection molding, sheet metal, casting, machining, and other manufacturing processes
- Experience working closely with Electrical Engineers including MCO creation
- Having an open mind, creativity, and lack of ego to allow us to create the best possible designs as a team