GENERAL CUSTODIAN JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB GOAL - The Custodian is responsible for maintaining a clean and working environment inside the school and on the grounds of the school to which he/she is assigned.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP - The Night Custodian reports to the Director of Janitorial Services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - Most/all of the following cleaning service tasks are to be completed daily depending on your role.
1. Availability to work 2nd shift hours as needed Monday – Sunday (tentatively 4:00pm - 10:00 pm).
2. Clean assigned areas and empties all assigned trash containers daily.
3. Must be able to operate custodial/janitorial equipment such as buffers, carpet cleaners, floor strippers and other applicable cleaning equipment to maintain the cleanliness of the facility in which they work.
4. Inspect all lavatories for cleanliness and maintenance of an adequate supply of toiletries for the replenishment of soap, hand towels, toilet paper, sanitary products, toilet seat covers. Clean mirrors, wipe down sinks and toilets and remove dirt, stains, trash. Floors around toilet fixtures and under urinals should be mopped a minimum of once per day. On scheduled session days, floors around toilets and under urinals must be mopped per scheduled shift using a disinfectant cleaner.
5. Public areas are to be continuously policed and picked up throughout your shift for removal of all litter, damp mopping spillages, emptying of trash receptacles, and removal of spots and/or graffiti from the wall and column surfaces. Building entrances are to be policed for removal of all litter, debris, and trash, including cigarette butts during the course of the workday. Entrances should appear neat and orderly at all times.
6. Pick up trash as required/requested.
7. Clean interior and exterior surfaces of lobby windows, windowsills and doors.
8. Spot cleaning of public display cases and display items such as statues and plaques, and brass rails and vestibule areas.
9. Remove and/or clean up any debris or soil such as cigarette butts, chewing gum, coffee spills, graffiti, etc.
10. Police the assigned exterior perimeter of the buildings to remove papers, litter, and other debris. Sweep standing water and ensure that the area is in a neat and orderly condition. Additional clean up required beyond normal policing may be required from time to time.
11. Removal of trash from trash cans/receptacles on the exterior property and replacement of trash can liners. Clean trash cans and receptacles monthly.
12. Clean vertical and horizontal surfaces of building porticos.
13. Requires effective verbal communication skills along with the ability to follow instructions, and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
14. Set-up for events and/or meeting space requirements may be required in coordination with maintenance personnel. May include but not limited to set-up and removal of podiums, tables, chairs, air walls, risers, etc.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned by the supervisor on duty.
1. Position may consist of continual lifting and moving equipment and furniture. The requirements and duties described above may be modified or waived by the Company in its sole discretion without notice. Other physical demands that may be required are as follows: Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling; Stooping and/or kneeling; Climbing and balancing; Reaching.
2. High School or equivalent, normally one year experience in janitorial cleaning.
3. Must be computer literate to the extent required to perform job functions and proper recording and documentation of maintenance records.
4. Requires effective verbal communication skills along with the ability to follow instructions, and work under pressure with minimal supervision. Must be able to walk and stand for a long period of time. Heavy lifting required up to 50lbs. requires effective verbal communication skills along with the ability to follow instructions, and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
TEMPERAMENT (Personal Traits)
1. Adapts to performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
2. Adapts to making generalizations, evaluations, or decisions based on sensory or judgmental criteria.
3. Adapts to dealing with people beyond giving and receiving instruction.
4. Must exhibit the ability to communicate with the staff and co-workers in an appropriate and ethical manner.
5. Adherence to OSHA standards in relation to the proper use of chemicals and equipment involved in the day-to-day completion of custodial cleaning tasks.
CAPACITY AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS - Specific capacities and abilities may be required of an individual in order to learn or perform adequately a task or job duty.
1. Intelligence: The ability to understand instructions and underlying principles. Ability to reason and make judgments.
2. Verbal: Ability to understand meanings of words and ideas associated with them.
3. Manual Dexterity: Ability to move hands easily and skillfully.
4. Numerical: Ability to perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately.
5. Data Perception: Ability to understand and interpret information presented in the form of graphs, charts, or tables.
6. Eye-Hand-Foot Coordination: Ability to move the hand and foot coordinately in response to visual stimuli.
WORK CONDITIONS - Some degree of discomfort due to exposure to dust, noise, temperature, and weather conditions.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS - The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.
Calvary Baptist Temple is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, citizenship, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.